Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Threads from the Enemy: 2022 NFL Draft in the AFC North
(04-29-2022, 04:34 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Do you think they drafted him just to try and attract more of the local fanbase and keep them engaged?

He just doesn't come off as a strong NFL quarterback. The Steelers will have him under center more, which could be a problem since he's used to playing from the gun and is only 6'3 (I know Burrow's only 6'4 and 6'3 is average, but I've seen people say it's a concern). 

Like you said, I think they were better off taking other positions of need, like offensive line, receiver, or defense. I don't think there was enough value in taking Pickett where they did.

No. There's no need for the Steelers to do things to attract more fans. There's no need for any NFL team to do that. Winning attracts more fans. I think all GMs (should) get that. 

I think the familiarity played a huge role. They know him very well both as a player and person. I know people who know him and by all accounts, he's a really good upstanding guy. He won't be drunk in a bar bathroom in Milligeville Georgia (bad news for you guys, the rape jokes are over...but they could be replaced by bad qb jokes). 

Beyond that, his work ethic is supposed to be incredible. I think the Steelers saw that daily and know more than other teams did. Is there any other situation in the NFL like the Panthers and Steelers have? Im unaware if there is. He's essentially been a Steeler for 5 years already. I think they feel that with the structure that they have and the familiarity, and his work ethic, that they groom him to reach his max potential. I think that they're counting on a smooth transition and good surroundings paying off. I guess we'll find out how right they are.

With the other QBs dropping the way that they have, it does feel like they could've absolutely picked him up in round 2, even if they may have needed to trade up to do so....which sucks because they may have missed out the chance to have a great draft. 

In the end, I think it's a safe pick. I think that he's going to be a pretty good QB in the NFL someday. Little chance for a bust. But its unlikely he'll ever reach the level of Burrow or Watson (IMO Jackson isn't that great). While Malik Willis has way more potential upside, he's got the potential to be a bust...if a 3rd rounder can be considered a bust. I don't think they wanted a project. They tried a 3rd round project with Rudolph already. They wanted a sure thing even if that 'sure' pans out to be a mid tier qb.  

Surround a mid tier QB with really good talent and good organizational structure and you can have a really successful football team. Maybe even win a championship. There's plenty of evidence. Look no further than Baltimore who won SBs with Trent Dilfer and Joe Flucco. 

Top 10 franchise QBs are just so rare. You guys a lucky to have one. 
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Threads from the Enemy: 2022 NFL Draft in the AFC North - StrictlyBiz - 04-30-2022, 08:29 AM