Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Using context to judge this draft
(05-02-2022, 12:12 PM)CardCounterChris Wrote: I'm not sure there was to be honest.  However that doesn't make the pick correct as there were other options.

1.) Could have traded up for Linderbaum. To be fair, I didn't see BAL snagging him and thought after the DAL pick, he'd fall to us. CIN showed they were willing to go after there guy.

2.) Trade back.  There was still depth on the perimeter at DB and still other good players that could have been had in the mid 2nd.  This allows more flexibility by adding depth throughout more positions.

For me either of those is fine, and I'm not anti Dax. I get the arguments with Bates and/or Bell being potentially out the door. I also understand we do utilize 3 safety sets and he can play the slot.  With the first round picks, I just want to see them on the field, especially when making a Super Bowl push.  I just wonder if there was a better way to go about approaching the draft as a whole.

Unfortunately with Hindsight and could haves we'll never know. I'm not overly excited by this draft, but they did get talent.

I've brought it up a few times, but it's very likely that Bates misses TC and possibly some games before signing the FT.  This past year, there was also the issue of his poor play during the regular season, which the Bengals were powerless to do anything about due to their lack of depth at the position.  Hill not only provides holdout insurance, but he also applies pressure on Bates to show up in shape and not play not to get hurt.  If he does, he could very well lose his starting job and his chances at a big payday.  FWIW, the Bengals said they didn't think Dax would still be on the board, so he was likely seen as the BPA and too good to pass on.  It was known before the Ravens were high on Linderbaum.  I personally think he was a guy the fans were in love with, but the Bengals didn't really care for.  

Most sites I saw had a 4th round grade on Anderson, so I didn't see it as a big deal to move up for him in the 5th.  

I think you will likely see even more 3 S,/Big Nickel looks this year, as putting in an extra S as a QB spy is a good way to shut down mobile QB's like Jackson and Watson.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Using context to judge this draft - Whatever - 05-02-2022, 12:46 PM