Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Using context to judge this draft
(05-02-2022, 12:05 PM)CardCounterChris Wrote: I like the players. I think we got some really talented guys. I also realize where we drafted.  However, I did wonder about a few things during the draft.  Did we need to give up our 6th to move up in the 5th for another safety? We could have grabbed another OL, TE, or WR with that. Did we overdraft Safety?  Will Dax Hill see enough of the field in year 1?

I'm not saying things are failing apart or terrible. I don't want to take the shine from the players and their moment either.  However, I think its still fine to discuss things that stood out as maybe not great?

Yes Hill will see the field in year 1 and I think it will be in many forms due to his versatility. However, the point is that the Bengals have reached the coveted position of not having to draft for starters and people are going to have to get use to that. It is a good thing. Did we overdraft at S? No not really considering a real lack of depth there and the fact that Bates and Bell both are near the end of their deals. However, with the use of TEs in the receiving game these days even if they bring Bates or Bell back we are still in good shape to show multiple safety sets.

I continue to see people talking about taking another O lineman like we did nothing to improve our line. Here is how I see the line:

LT - Jonah Williams / D'Ante Smith
LG - Jackson Carman / Cordell Volson
C - Ted Karra / Trey Hill
RG - Alex Cappa / Volson / Ben Brown
RT - Lael Collins / Isaiah Prince 

That is already more O linemen then are typically kept on the roster for a season so not sure where they would fit more of them.

The cupboard is certainly not bare at TE either. I think Hurst was an outstanding acquisition that will fit very well in this offense as a receiving threat. As well there is still Sample, Moss, and Wilcox but the guy that intrigues me is Scotty Washington. Seems many have forgotten the WR turned TE who is not up to a solid almost 250. I would hope they are going to give him a good look at the position. They have also brought in Riggs the UDFA from Kentucky.

I think they added some really complimentary pieces in this draft that are going to add real versatility in the defensive looks that they will be able to run to confuse opposing offenses.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Using context to judge this draft - OSUfan - 05-04-2022, 07:59 PM