Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Paul Daughtery: Doc: Zac Taylor came in strutting, without actually strutting. He was
(05-05-2022, 09:25 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Good stuff, thanks for sharing...

When friends outside the area ask about the Bengals, they all rave about Burrow...and rightfully so.  What the guy did coming off a severe knee injury was nothing short of amazing.  However, I am always careful to credit the coaches for getting rid of malcontents, sticking to their guns, and building the kind of team that Burrow CAN lead.  

It almost sounds hokey and Ted Lasso-ish, but everything from the playoff game balls to the time when ZT said how they would eventually look back at these times and laugh about their early struggles.  They never wavered.  

I'd also like to tip the proverbial hat to one Elizabeth Blackburn, who revolutionized the Bengals social media platform (and is now one of the best follows in the league), got the ROH built, and made some massive improvements to the stadium experience.  She was the genesis of a lot of those things, and she has helped make the Bengals one of the most fun, young organizations in the league.  

It all came together last year, and I believe Zac can keep it going for many years to come because he had the right formula and didn't waver from his plan.  

Zac Taylor lacked experience as a head coach and little OC experience. He was basically offered by Denver ( with staff conditions ) and Arizona. He liked the situation and ownership at Cincy. What did the other ownership/mgt teams see in him knowing he lacked experience? He had a plan and a vision that impressed them all. He wasn’t the lead candidate for any of them.

He took the Cincy job right after the Super Bowl and a lot of coaches he’d have liked to hire weren’t available. I’m sure he was encouraged to bring in an experienced DC like Jack Del Rio. Eventually he got Lou Aranumo who he’d coached with at Miami. His first year he had push back from the veterans. The roster was awful. He instructs the scouting department to put more emphasis on leaders, players of high character, and players that loved ball. It really didn’t materialize until the roster of 2020.

Handicapped by Covid restrictions and a rookie QB they start by losing to the Chargers by 3,Cleveland by 5, Tie Philly in 2OT,Beat the Jags, get drilled by the Ravens, lose by 4 to the Colts, and 3 to the Browns. Then they beat the Titans and get drilled by Pitt. They then get beat by Wash and lose Joe. Their record didn’t show it but before Joe’s injury they were near playing .500 ball.

Helped by a strong FA for ‘21 and drafting well they finally caught fire and gelled and made it to the SB. They won 3 playoff games and beat KC twice. Tell me the last team to beat KC and Mahomes two straight.

Taylor is not Bill Belicheck but Bill Belicheck wasn’t Bill Walsh in year 3 either and nor did anybody think he’d pass Walsh as a great coach. Not suggesting Zac is going to be a HOF coach.

But if fans can’t see the great strides and differences in the Bengals since he got here I can’t help them. He’s taken heavy criticism for his OC duties. This year with a better OL he does need to take it to another level. I think the defense will be improved and for sure the offense. I’m predicting with a much much tougher schedule 12-5. There’s going to be several AFC teams around that number. Injuries a key. I look for an offense much better in the Redzone and short yardage. I look for a defense that’s tough on third down.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Paul Daughtery: Doc: Zac Taylor came in strutting, without actually strutting. He was - Soonerpeace - 05-05-2022, 05:20 PM