Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why China shouldn't scare anyone economically..
(05-02-2022, 01:54 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't agree with everything you say. But I will point out this fact.

A few years ago people were talking about how "China owned the United States" because we "owed them so much money". But what was actually happening was that the United States was selling government bonds and Chinese were buying them up. The reason they were buying all these US Government bonds was that they knew we were the safest bet our there to put your money on. And investing in government issued bonds does not give you any control over the government issuing them. It is not like the Chinese could "call in" the debt. They just collected the interest like everyone else.

Yes I think they own about 4%. While that’s a lot, it’s not owning the US and like you said, they just get to collect on them. Oh and they own some buildings I think. Hope they don’t take them away.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why China shouldn't scare anyone economically.. - michaelsean - 05-07-2022, 08:35 PM