Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
$40 billion for Ukraine, no baby formula for the US
(05-11-2022, 08:33 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Hard to say. One of the first things we learn in policy classes is that more money doesn't always help, especially when it comes to the private sector. Supply chain issues are the result of so many different moving parts that it would be hard to really put something in place that would work. Do you focus on the transportation? The labor? And on which side of the chain? The more moving parts the less effective funding is.

All that being said, I don't disagree with you. I have been talking about this for a long time, though. For instance, the defense budget passed in early 2021 was more than we have spent on our military since WWII when you adjust it for inflation. More than we spent during the Cold War years, more than during Vietnam, 50% more than the average budget during the Cold War. Then we saw Biden come in with an even higher request for the military.

What you're saying about the aid to Ukraine is what I and others have been saying for years in relation to the defense budget and other things for years. Now, I want Ukraine to win, but I also don't know how much I agree with the money we are pumping into the conflict, either. Lots of things there for me that I am not a fan of.

Anyway, just my two cents.

Good points, as always.  I'm infinitely more comfortable spending money on our military, although I will admit our defense budget is obscene, rather than that of another country.  I suppose this falls under the low hanging fruit of government, something that takes little to no effort that you can crow about at election time.  The problem is, in this instance, is that domestic issues are in the toilet and, as you say, there's no easy fix.  Whether it falls on them or not Biden and his government look incompetent on this issue.  I won't even get into others.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: $40 billion for Ukraine, no baby formula for the US - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 05-11-2022, 08:38 PM