Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
The Current State of the OL Room
(05-11-2022, 04:44 PM)AtomicBlaze Wrote: I wouldn't call anyone on our offensive line a star except La'el Collins who is a former pro bowler, Jonah Williams is above average and Karras and Cappa are solid but hardly stars.  I think any 1 really bad player can make an offensive line below average.  Just look at Eric Ghiacuic, Cedric Ogbuehi, and Adeniji for example and how much they impacted our offensive lines.  1 weak link can make the entire offensive line look bad even if everyone else is doing their job.

(05-12-2022, 08:12 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: You seem to be missing the bigger point of what I was trying to say.  Let me try to explain it a little better.  This roster has a lot of star power on in, star players all cost a lot of money.  In the NFL there is this thing called the salary cap that all teams must adhere to, in an effort to keep an even chance of success for all teams in the league.  It is impossible to have star players at every position on a team, it simply costs too much.

What the Bengals did, was seek out specific OL who's skills matched well with what they are wanting to accomplish, yet not cost so much that they can not afford to spend money on other areas of the team.  In my opinion, the Bengals did a fantastic job of retooling the OL, keeping the budget concerns in mind, as well as drafting to improve the team for future years.

Cappa had 1182 snaps 1 penalty. 796 pass blocks (5 sacks) . "Alex Cappa is a solid starting right guard who has improved every year in NFL," Ledyard tweeted. "He also played through a broken arm and tried to stay in a game with a broken leg. Don't know how high the ceiling is bc he lacks great tools/athleticism. But great technique is his calling card... He's a tough, team-first guy with an ultra-physical mentality."

I’ll add he’s penalty free. He plays hurt. He’s 27. He has great technique. He played on a winning team. Team first guy. Sounds awfully good.

Karras had 2 penalties in 829 snaps and gave up 3 sacks out of 425 pass plays. Karras was low balled by the Pats and the Pats site said this: After leaving New England to join Miami in 2020, Karras quickly returned to the Pats and became an instant standout due to his rock-solid play.

La El Collins had a pff grade overall of 82.0 76.2 pass blocking and wow 89.8 run blocking. 2 sacks. 8 penalties is his nemesis. In 2019 he graded as the 4th best tackle by PFF.

We’ve IMO really improved the run game. I don’t think some on here realize what a difference an outstanding run game will do for this offense. Mixon can take it to the house. If teams play man for man Mixon is going to have some huge runs. If they play zone if Burrow has time he’ll kill teams. I don’t think fans realize how our poor running has effected us in rhythm for the offense. This offense is going to top 5 in the NFL. The defense is going to be top 5 in third down stops. We are a much better team.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
The Current State of the OL Room - Joelist - 05-05-2022, 04:53 PM
RE: The Current State of the OL Room - tms - 05-06-2022, 12:26 AM
RE: The Current State of the OL Room - tms - 05-07-2022, 12:25 AM
The Current State of the OL Room - BenZoo2 - 05-06-2022, 11:19 AM
RE: The Current State of the OL Room - 3wt - 05-12-2022, 10:28 AM
RE: The Current State of the OL Room - 3wt - 05-12-2022, 10:28 AM
RE: The Current State of the OL Room - Soonerpeace - 05-12-2022, 10:45 AM
RE: The Current State of the OL Room - 3wt - 06-01-2022, 03:03 PM