Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
The Current State of the OL Room
(05-12-2022, 08:12 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: You seem to be missing the bigger point of what I was trying to say.  Let me try to explain it a little better.  This roster has a lot of star power on in, star players all cost a lot of money.  In the NFL there is this thing called the salary cap that all teams must adhere to, in an effort to keep an even chance of success for all teams in the league.  It is impossible to have star players at every position on a team, it simply costs too much.

What the Bengals did, was seek out specific OL who's skills matched well with what they are wanting to accomplish, yet not cost so much that they can not afford to spend money on other areas of the team.  In my opinion, the Bengals did a fantastic job of retooling the OL, keeping the budget concerns in mind, as well as drafting to improve the team for future years.

Well said, no way we have stars all along the OL with all the stars we already have...

No team can afford that. We have added some damn good proven vets to the OL though which will make us much better.

(05-12-2022, 09:58 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Fred too many 1st round picks have started and busted in year one. My point is draft position is not relevant once a player is drafted, if our OL coach thinks he is better (not due to injury of other OL) than vets and starts it does not mean gloom and doom.

Some players are more NFL ready than others, maybe he is one of them so I would not immediately go to gloom and doom if a rookie 4th rround pick starts on the OL or 2nd round CB or 3rd round DL either. 

Truth, same with La'el Collins. Dude was extremely talented but was an UDFA.

Who knows how good Cordell Volson will become or Jackson Carman if his back is alright.

(05-12-2022, 10:01 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Cappa had 1182 snaps 1 penalty. 796 pass blocks (5 sacks) . "Alex Cappa is a solid starting right guard who has improved every year in NFL," Ledyard tweeted. "He also played through a broken arm and tried to stay in a game with a broken leg. Don't know how high the ceiling is bc he lacks great tools/athleticism. But great technique is his calling card... He's a tough, team-first guy with an ultra-physical mentality."

I’ll add he’s penalty free. He plays hurt. He’s 27. He has great technique. He played on a winning team. Team first guy. Sounds awfully good.

Karras had 2 penalties in 829 snaps and gave up 3 sacks out of 425 pass plays. Karras was low balled by the Pats and the Pats site said this: After leaving New England to join Miami in 2020, Karras quickly returned to the Pats and became an instant standout due to his rock-solid play.

La El Collins had a pff grade overall of 82.0 76.2 pass blocking and wow 89.8 run blocking. 2 sacks. 8 penalties is his nemesis. In 2019 he graded as the 4th best tackle by PFF.

We’ve IMO really improved the run game. I don’t think some on here realize what a difference an outstanding run game will do for this offense. Mixon can take it to the house. If teams play man for man Mixon is going to have some huge runs. If they play zone if Burrow has time he’ll kill teams. I don’t think fans realize how our poor running has effected us in rhythm for the offense. This offense is going to top 5 in the NFL. The defense is going to be top 5 in third down stops. We are a much better team.

Yes, all the OL we brought in are good pass blockers but are fantastic, mean, technically sound run blockers.

Our running game could be #1 in the NFL this season with these guys added. Already like Jonah, Carman and Volson's run 
blocking too. Glass eaters on down the line just like Pollack said he wanted.

(05-12-2022, 10:28 AM)3wt Wrote: Good post Luv.   What remains to be seen is whether the enormous potential combined with a great coach can overcome character issues.   Typically only a total absence of talent - or more commonly entrenched character flaws - will negate good coaching.   Hopefully Carman finds his growth potential and gets his heart around it.

What character issues are you talking about 3wt? La'el? He is the only one that has ever had them on this OL?

(05-12-2022, 12:57 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Exactly, being able to run the ball effectively not only forces a defense to be prepared to stop the run, but also makes pass protection a little easier on the OL because the defense isn't firing off in a full out pass rush every play.

Yep, Defenses are no longer going to be able and just stop the run and pin their ears back and get after Burrow like the
last couple years. They will have to respect the run game and with better pass protection we just don't know how good Joe
Burrow can be, I have no idea how good this Offense can be honestly. Cannot wait.

Cool
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
The Current State of the OL Room - Joelist - 05-05-2022, 04:53 PM
RE: The Current State of the OL Room - tms - 05-06-2022, 12:26 AM
RE: The Current State of the OL Room - tms - 05-07-2022, 12:25 AM
The Current State of the OL Room - BenZoo2 - 05-06-2022, 11:19 AM
RE: The Current State of the OL Room - 3wt - 05-12-2022, 10:28 AM
RE: The Current State of the OL Room - 3wt - 05-12-2022, 10:28 AM
RE: The Current State of the OL Room - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 05-12-2022, 02:18 PM
RE: The Current State of the OL Room - 3wt - 06-01-2022, 03:03 PM