Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
$40 billion for Ukraine, no baby formula for the US
(05-11-2022, 07:42 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: The title rather says it all.  I am absolutely in favor of supporting Ukraine against the Russian invasion of their country, and have said so from the beginning.  But you have to start to wonder at what point should we be spending this money on our own people?  When Musk bought Twitter I heard, numerous times, left leaning people talk about how he could "end hunger" with the $44 billion he used to buy Twitter.  Why are we not hearing the same thing here?  Again, I support Ukraine, and would hate to see them lose to Russia, but our country is a mess right now, rampant inflation and now a shortage of baby formula that could have severe repercussions for developing children.  I'll close by commenting that they authorized $7 billion more than Biden even asked for and that both parties share the blame here.

Agreed. We seem to have no trouble shoveling money to Ukraine. Which I'm not necessarily against. However I do question the motives behind it. Personally, I wonder how much of us giving money to Ukraine is more so about weakening Russia militarily than it is necessarily about thinking Ukraine will actually win with our help. But that's for another thread.

Regarding the supply chain issue, I agree we need to throw money at the problem. Not that that would solve everything but I believe it would help. The national guard can be used to help with supply chain issues and in October last year the Biden administration refused to do this. After three more months of shit hitting the fan Biden finally pulled the trigger in January (2022) and authorized 14 billion to fund the national guard in relation to supply chain issues. Maybe if we had considered that earlier or even put more money towards it. things would at the very least be looking a little better today.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: $40 billion for Ukraine, no baby formula for the US - Matt_Crimson - 05-12-2022, 04:24 PM