Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 3.43 Average
Why the **** is Jessie Bates not signed yet?
(05-18-2022, 04:41 PM)J24 Wrote: He was still a top 5 Safety in 2020. Also his missed tackles rate drastically improved in 2021.

He had 90 rating during the playoffs and was the key to the defenses turnaround in said playoffs.

True enough, if you want to pay him only for the Playoffs go right ahead. Not my money.

I just love the Dax Hill pick enough and don't like the Agents BS enough to move on in anyway that is best for the team and Jessie.

(05-19-2022, 02:02 AM)pulses Wrote: The Texans have a ton of cap space and plenty of draft capital and they need a FS badly. I'd bet we could get a couple of picks out of them....say a 2 and 4 and u can have him.

Probably just a dream but that would be fantastic or just getting something for him would be just fine too.

(05-19-2022, 09:00 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: he played poor most the year. until the playoffs...   Was he hurt? or just butthurt if the later send him on his way.

No doubt that is the question. I don't like it myself even though he played great in the Postseason, to let the lack of a contract get
in his head like that and affect his game to that extent is not a good sign in my eyes. Gives me pause especially now with his Agent
being a doosh. If it was me I would of told my Agent to back off and would of just signed the extension offered already.

I am sure it is extremely fair and you get to play on a team that should be a contender for a long time with Burrow.

(05-19-2022, 09:36 AM)ochocincos Wrote: But yet his postseason PFF was 90.0 last year... Cool

Bates admitted during the regular season last year that his contract situation was affecting him.
He was vastly underperforming during (at least) the first half of last regular season.
He then started turning it around, and he was a key factor in the Bengals making it to the Super Bowl.

True if you want to pay him only cause of what he did in the SB run so be it. I think that is what he wants and we aren't going
to pay him that cause of his poor play in the regular season and his overall poor tackling his entire career. Dude has great range
though and that is rare, but Dax Hill makes him expendable even if he hasn't played an NFL down yet. He is way more pro ready
than Bates was coming out and is ten times the tackler with great range himself.

(05-19-2022, 09:46 AM)Stewy Wrote: I have no great love or dislike for Bates.  Not debating he turned it on during the SB.  Not debating he had a great 2020.  But a guy that is so emotional about his contract that he cannot separate business from the ball field, IS A PROBLEM.

That his contract would affect his play, AND then admitted it (I'm sure his agent wanted to smack him), is a HUGE red flag.  It's affecting him now.  He has no leverage in holding out during team activities, he cannot afford to NOT to sign his TAG because he wasn't making 1st rnd pick money to sock away the previous years, and he'll get fined thousands of dollars per day once mandatories start.  On top of that he's picking the wrong team to have money issues with in the first place.  The Bengals do not give in, period.  

Finally, if we sign him to a top 5 contract, what happens in 2 years when new money drops his contract out of the top 10?  His history says he's going to get grumpy, it'll get into his head and it will affect his play.  Bates needs to pull his head out of his ass and separate business from the playing field because he's developing a reputation that's going to follow him the rest of his career.

Great post Stewy, well said man. Rock On
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why the **** is Jessie Bates not signed yet? - IcoHolic - 04-29-2022, 04:16 PM
RE: Why the **** is Jessie Bates not signed yet? - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 05-19-2022, 12:56 PM