Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where are my auto enthusiasts?
(05-19-2022, 09:01 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It has always been possible to "upgrade" a turbo by replacing it with a larger one.  They would produce more peak HP but they would also have more "turbo lag".

But new turbo's are so much more efficient than the ones from the 80's that replacing a turbo with a newer on of the same size will give really big HP gains without more lag.  I don't really understand all the details of the new technology but they have "ceramic ball bearings" and shit like that. 

People often underestimate just how hard ceramic can be. When I was a kid I lived right behind an old landfill used by the old Frigidaire plant in Moraine.. That landfill was located real close to the top of Pinnacle hill or road.. Anyway...back then the Frigidaire plant dumped ceramic waste balls that had been leftovers from the process they once used to coat stoves and refrigerators back when they were build like tanks.. We had a big collection of those ceramic balls and tried like hell to smash them with sledge hammers on an old anvil with no hope of even leaving a scratch on them much less crushing them.. I could probably find a use for them today, but back then they were just cool novelties..  There's still a bunch of them out there is anyone feels like walking back behind the housing development to where the landfill was.. Those things were a lot harder than steel ball bearings because we crushed a bunch of the steel versions..never a ceramic one.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Where are my auto enthusiasts? - SHRacerX - 05-11-2022, 08:48 AM
RE: Where are my auto enthusiasts? - grampahol - 05-21-2022, 03:25 PM