Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Making the playoffs with 10 or fewer wins
(05-22-2022, 11:32 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: A lot of us right now will poo poo the percentages about teams that lose the Super Bowl not even returning to the playoffs and with good reason.  So many times, those teams are broken up for a variety of reasons.  They lose top notch coordinators (Bengals didn't).   They lose top notch talent to FA (Bengals didn't).  Their schedule is much tougher (TBD).  

It is easy for us to dismiss the historical numbers, but those are the trends of the teams in our situation in the recent past.  

Personally, I think of the team now vs. the team that struggled so badly against the Bears and I think how the offense is light years ahead of that now.  I think of how the young defense gelled down the stretch, and how they all bought in to Anarumo's schemes.  I even think of how limited the playbook was for ZT (who gets far too little credit for this, but that is a subject for another thread) after losing Reiff.  

Does that mean this year's team goes 14-3 and has home field throughout the playoffs?  I sure hope so, but doubtful.  I think you were dead on about staying "reasonable healthy".  I will add "balanced".  I hope they don't have to rely on Chase getting 100 receptions, or Mixon getting 30 carries a game (I know that is incredibly unlikely, but hear me out).  A balanced team with a solid rotation at receiver (including TE) and RB, will keep everyone fresher and healthier down the stretch.

I sincerely hope we see a lot more of Evans and more rotation on the defensive line with the likes of Tupou, Shelvin, Sample, Kareem, Ossai, and Carter providing a blow for the Hendrickson, Hubbard, Reader, and Hill.  

I was frankly amazed how those guys played with the extra game and so many injuries to the rotational pieces.  They are all heart.  This year, they need to be breathing fire come the post season.  Healthy, rested, and God-willing, with a first round bye.  

The fact that many teams struggle after losing the Super Bowl is real.  You are correct that we did not lose any, coaches or players.  I would also add that many teams take years going hard for a SB after they had constructed a team that is built for a solid run. We hadnt finished putting our team together yet to even start serious playoff contention.

I believe we were a year early to even consider real contention.  Looking at the roster only the this year and the previous 2 without any knowledge of past records, I would easily suggest that this coming season in 2022 would be the first that we actually had a serious chance at making a run.

We not only hit the Super Bowl we did it prior to proper roster construction, without a ton of vets, and without a NFL caliber oline.  If we draft well, continue free agency and manage the cap we can be annual contenders with injuries being our primary obstacle.

Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Making the playoffs with 10 or fewer wins - casear2727 - 05-22-2022, 12:44 PM