Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Mass Shooting at San Antonio Elementary School
(05-25-2022, 11:30 PM)hollodero Wrote: I have a question, not meant to be controversial or stirring up anything, just for comprehension. If someone were to say or post "I want to shoot up lots of people at my school" (or that it would be good if that happened or something similar), what is the appropriate reaction by law enforcement?

That would likely be considered a threat and thus not protected by the first amendment.

The problem is the police aren't screening every Facebook profile at all times, so that would probably have to be filtered to the police through Facebook's reporting system. And that's if anyone even sees or notices it (shooters have a tendency to be loners or socially awkward people, so there's a good chance they wouldn't be at the top of many people's feeds). I'm not sure how long before Facebook notifies the local police (if they even have a specific idea of exactly who the local police for any given profile is) or if they'd have to go straight to the FBI, which then leads to another processing lag time and, who knows, by then the murder may have already taken place.

I think the news report said that this Uvalde shooter posted something 30 minutes before he killed his grandmother? Just going off of memory from the news report, but it would be nearly impossible to respond to those Facebook messages in time to prevent the shooting in many cases.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Mass Shooting at San Antonio Elementary School - CJD - 05-26-2022, 08:43 AM