Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jackson Carman confident he can be the Bengals starting left guard
(05-24-2022, 08:59 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: __________

I’ve been discussing and dueling with Fred Mertz on this. Like I’ve alluded Carman disappointed the staff last year on a few things. But it sure sounds like he’s focused and has matured. I think he’s ready to flourish. I’m excited and I hope he solidifies the line. I feel so much better about things after reading this.

A few things:  One, I don't think he ever really "won" the job last year.  He was given it by default when XSF got injured week 2.  I would hardly call that winning the job, but I digress.

I really liked him after hearing how he put off surgery in college to try and win a national championship.  Probably cost himself a chance to rise up boards with his back healed by the combine and really show his potential.  Instead, he wasn't even able to participate at Clemson's pro day. 

Showing up out of shape after this was understandable in my eyes.  As Carman said recently "you are never done with a back surgery" eluding to the rehab that is ongoing.  

It was presented as he has a problem with a work ethic, and that this tag followed him clear back to his days at Fairfield High School.  Odd, given the Bengal's recent tendency to really driven guys that are leaders, former captains, etc. at such a critical position in the draft.

Where he stands today is in better physical condition from a weight standpoint.  That's all we really know.  We don't know his true conditioning nor how much he has worked in the off season to improve his weaknesses....such as hand placement.

I know he worked out with some former offensive line coach in Dallas for a month in the off season and that is at least a start.  He needs to win over Pollack and maybe show a bit of a nasty streak in some practices.  I don't know what was said about his mother, but he took a VERY large DT for a ride and pancaked him against the Ravens.  Need to see more of that.  

The Bengals played it perfect in drafting Volson.  He is kind of the anti-Carman.  Works his butt off even if he may not be as physically gifted, and a "glass eater".  He is probably more pro ready than Carman coming out due to his extensive playing time over five seasons.  If Carman slips up, he will be waiting.  If Carman reaches his potential and gains consistency, we have a quality backup.  

FWIW, I never saw Adeniji and Smith as guards, but backup tackles.  I really like Smith the most out of all of them from a pure body and dedication standpoint, but he has to prove he can stay healthy.  

Who am I pulling for?  I don't really care.  I just want a solid LG to go with the rest of the above average line.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Jackson Carman confident he can be the Bengals starting left guard - SHRacerX - 05-27-2022, 08:33 AM