Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Difference between 2015 team and 2021 team?
(06-03-2022, 08:45 PM)jj22 Wrote: 2021 leaders weren't making threats to Mike Brown mid season during a dominant start....

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2022/6/3/23152489/andrew-whitworth-threatened-to-leave-bengals-2015-letter-mike-brown

First you can work to mid season and retire with enough to pay the prorated signing bonus back.... Then you sign a one year extension for the same pay because your family needed it?

He was proud of this story tho. His play did drop off and maybe this is why most fans thought he was done.

I would argue that his play had not dropped off. It was a fairly normal season for Whitworth. Combing through his career data via PFF, I have that as his seventh best season, but comparing him to league peers he was borderline elite at worst. 

Maybe my perspective is off base here, but I don't really have an issue with this. This doesn't come across as much different than a normal business conversation. I think the corporate/normal workforce equivalent would be "Give me a raise, or I am leaving." I've known plenty of people to have those types of conversations, including myself. He was a high level producer asking for an extension. If he wasn't going to get it, he was going to walk. That would frustrate me as a fan, but man, football is a job at the end of the day. If I look at like that instead of this awesome sport with all of the fun adjectives I can think of, it doesn't strike me as a big deal. 

Also, one last thing - I agree that no one in the locker room was probably doing anything like this. However, it is worth noting that we are just now hearing about this....seven years later. We never really know what is happening in that locker room. 
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Difference between 2015 team and 2021 team? - KillerGoose - 06-04-2022, 09:50 AM