Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NFL's most explosive ball carriers
(06-08-2022, 10:32 AM)wcu Wrote: One Bengal made this Next Gen Stat ranking, and it wasn't necessarily the one I expected...

Rank 6

Joe Mixon
Cincinnati Bengals · RB
10+ yard runs: 26
10+ pct: 8.9%
15+ mph runs: 51
15+ mph pct: 17.5%

On one hand, Mixon is indeed an explosive rusher. His 51 15-plus mph runs and 26 10-plus-yard rushes prove that. At the same time, he's a runner who didn't gain much more than expected in 2021. Sure, he finished with the second-most rushing yards after contact last season (1,054), but he gained only one rushing yard over expected for the entire season. He also tied for the fifth-fewest average yards gained before contact in 2021, making the 15-plus mph runs a bit of an outlier.

Mixon rushed for 901 yards outside the tackles, the third most in the league. He is essentially a runner who wins by getting to and around the perimeter before taking off. It's a slow build, but it can be devastating -- and blinding, judging by his three carries that reached a top speed of 20-plus mph (tied for third-most in the NFL).

The rest of the list can be found here: https://www.nfl.com/news/next-gen-stats-10-most-explosive-runners-of-2021-josh-allen-jalen-hurts-lamar-ja

Cool article.  When you think of Mixon, you usually think of his size for a RB, but this highlights he also has a good deal of speed.  I can't help but think more talent on the line will not only open up holes, but they will also be better at getting to the next level and help Mixon break off more long runs.  

I was more than a little surprised at the speed of both Allen and Hurts.  Both guys are big and strong, too...not waifs like Lamar, who is by far the most elusive.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
NFL's most explosive ball carriers - wcu - 06-08-2022, 10:32 AM
RE: NFL's most explosive ball carriers - SHRacerX - 06-10-2022, 09:55 AM