Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What’s important and should be the staff’s focus for 2022?
(06-11-2022, 01:48 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Well I’m sure not capable of knowing like maybe a few others here but here goes.

1. Molding and improving the OL. Duh have we beat that dead horse LOL. But certainly solidifying the LG spot and the backup there the most important element and getting Tre Hill capable if needed.
2. Standing pat it appears at WR but maybe keeping an eye out for available players to pick up if needed or to trade for in event of injury.
3. The return game
4. Dax Hill. Find his place. He needs on the field
5. Getting CTB ready to replace Apple if he struggles or just in general. Same goes for Tycen Anderson as a back up safety.
6. DL reserves… Cam Sample, Shelvin, Tupol, & Carter somebody needs to emerge there like Hill did. Ossai I’m not concerned about. He’s going to help for sure.
7. Hayden Hurst…  I think he starts slow … by design. They are going to use him in basic schemes then against Dallas spring him. But he’s going to be more valuable in easing the concentration on our WR.
8. Third Down/Red Zone … gots to be better

Wish I knew how to cleanly respond in each point (other than just bolding) like Nate does...

But here goes:

Lots of good stuff on here, and point #1 was most likely the most important.  The additional coach added to help Pollack should help him develop the second tier guys while Pollack works with the starters.  Although it sounds simple, it is a big addition and could pay huge dividends.  I think between Trenton Irwin and a few of the UDFA, that 7th WR spot is likely already on the roster.  There could be a surprise WR available, but I like the talent behind the big three...just think Mike Thomas is probably at risk of being bumped in favor of Irwin, who a number of coaches rave about in practice.

Special teams and the rookies gaining experience (I think Bates will be there) in packages will be huge.  

The D line would rank as my second most important facet and most specifically, the pass rush.  There needs to be more rotation and blitz packages.  The Bengals relied on Hendrickson way too much last year.  There needs to be packages where Ossai, Hendrickson, Hubbard, and a fourth like Kareem, Sample, or even one of the rookies are in a sort-of NASCAR package.  Generating pressure on the opposing QB is every bit as important as protecting yours.  

Your comment about Hurst lines up well with the Red Zone comment....I think they will benefit each other.  And I think Hurst, Boyd, the RBs, and even Chase when lined up in the slot are going to be vital to adapt to what I believe defenses will try to do against the Bengals:  Two deep safeties.  I think they will do everything to limit Tee and Chase deep and hope the Bengals self destruct of the pass rush gets home and takes away longer developing stuff underneath.  Personally, I think this will play right in to the hands of Taylor and Callahan.  They will have safe, high % plays to sustain drives keeping the defense off the field.  Get ahead by a couple scores and you can take kill shots on offense and unleash the pass rush without having to respect the run game very much.  Kind of like the Manning-led Colts. 

It was the subject of a somewhat controversial thread, but I would like to see Mixon give up some touches to Evans and even Perine.  I want Joe 100% healthy and breathing fire for big games (I know they all are) and the playoffs.  If the Bengals are fortunate enough to have home field throughout the playoffs, the run game will be a key in December and January.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: What’s important and should be the staff’s focus for 2022? - SHRacerX - 06-12-2022, 11:36 AM