Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 3.43 Average
Why the **** is Jessie Bates not signed yet?
(06-16-2022, 10:05 AM)Stewy Wrote: Yep this.

I am sorry to those who are in love with Bates, but last year he showed he can be distracted by contract issues and then made the idiot move of ADMITTING it publicly.  It was UNPROFESSIONAL and our FO would be fools to pay him anything over 13-14 my due to his inconsistency and being unprofessional.  The NFL is a business and throwing top 5 money at Bates, AT THIS POINT, is bad business.  

Bates needs to man up and play on the tag (which he will).  He isn't being treated unfairly.  He made his bed and now he has to lie in it.

Yep, shit in his own mess kit.

(06-16-2022, 10:30 AM)PDub80 Wrote: They just used 2 picks on Safeties... 1 being a 1st rounder who, by all accounts, is an outstanding player. The 2nd S, while a 4th rounder, was also highly regarded. Why on Earth would they sign Bates to a huge deal with 2 prospects waiting in the wings?

Whitworth was an aberration. How could the Bengals have possibly known he would continue to play at such a high level this long? It is virtually unheard of in today's NFL. And the guy they drafted to replace him had red flags all over the map.... Hill does not. Nothing like Ced.

I am excited for the Bengals to move on from Bates. I don't hate the guy, but if he cannot fit under the cap at a good enough value to the point they have to let other, stronger players go - like Higgins - then...... "Bye".

Bates has been after a massive deal for 2 years and the Bengals cannot figure out how to get it done. Time has afforded them the pieces in place to move on to other contracts and, at this point, I'm of the opinion that they should. Bates has no leverage at this point.

I feel the same. It is out of the question we sign Bates to a big extension now and the Draft and now the Minkah Fitzpatrick 
deal sealed this in stone. We wouldn't of drafted BOTH Dax and Tycen if a deal was going to happen. Not in the cards people.

(06-16-2022, 04:12 PM)J24 Wrote: 1.) All the Jessie haters are taking his comments after the bye out of context. The guy certainly wasn't lofing it last season.

2.) He was our best player during the playoff run and was responsible for 3 INTs during the run.  No else had more than one.

3.) The coaching staff and team clearly love the guy. Maybe we as fans shouldn't overlook that.

4.) Goodberry just posted a tweet from PFF that Safety is the 3rd most valuable position according to war in Football.

5.) We're not going to be able to sign Higgins to long term deal  before he hits free agency. 1.) He is a top 10 WR under 25 and 2.) He has the same agent as Bates. Keeping Him and Chase together would be shocking at this point.

1 - Jessie did say those things and he did play poorly during the regular season. He didn't play like a top 10 Safety in the
regular season, let alone a top 5 Safety like he evidently thinks he is otherwise he would of already signed an extension 
with us. The FO, coaches and the team clearly wanted him extended. They would of offered something fair. He should of
taken it and considered his play during the regular season when he made those comments.

2 - True.

3 - True.

4 - Doesn't mean that is true cause Goodberry tweeted it.

5 - We will see, certainly wouldn't be able to sign Higgins or maybe even Chase if we gave Bates a giant deal like he wants.

(06-16-2022, 04:47 PM)Synric Wrote: To be fair because of the tons of cover 1 the Bengals used Jessie Bates area of coverage was ALOT more than Vonn Bell. Jessie Bates is one of the better cover 1 single high safeties in the NFL because of his instincts and range it allows the SS to roam. The Bengals Defensive will be taking a massive hit in their scheme without Bates in the lineup.

This is true for sure. Hope that Dax Hill can be a great cover 1 single high safety like Bates...
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why the **** is Jessie Bates not signed yet? - IcoHolic - 04-29-2022, 04:16 PM
RE: Why the **** is Jessie Bates not signed yet? - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 06-16-2022, 06:16 PM