Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What the Hell- early 70s Bengals
Well, I can't speak much on the early 70's I was to young. As my username indicates I went to my 1st Bengals game in 1974, I was 10 years old. It was vs. Houston Oilers and we lost.

In the mid 70's we ran into the Steelers (One of the greatest teams of the era) I puked a little bit typing that. In 1 draft 1972 I dunno somewhere in there thy drafted 4 HOFers in 1 draft ! And the Raiders with John Madden among others who were some damn good teams.

Kenny Anderson got hurt in the late 70's and had a couple very down seasons. Many, myself included believe that is one of the reasons he hasn't made the HOF. I'm just going off the top of my head but I believe it was the 78 regular season ? everybody was wanting him ran out of town. The announcers on TV would even comment "how much longer can the Bengals continue putting him out there ?"

One of the bigger what if's out there is Bill Walsh ? Again I'm just going off the top of my head not looking all this up. But somewhere in there, late 70's Paul Brown stepped down as the on field HC. Bill Walsh was a candidate for the position as Was Tiger Johnson. Paul chose Tiger and Bill left for the 49ers and the rest is history. Paul was old school to a large degree, 3 yards in a cloud of dust type offense and I don't think he really saw eye to eye with Bill and the Ohio river offense which went on to be called the west coast offense. But it was a giant mistake on Paul's part.

And I dunno ? It just wasn't meant to be.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
What the Hell- early 70s Bengals - J24 - 06-20-2022, 02:39 AM
RE: What the Hell- early 70s Bengals - bengalfan74 - 06-20-2022, 09:50 AM