Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stability...its boring but its better than the alternative
(12-02-2015, 09:53 AM)sonofstat Wrote: "If Austin Davis starts Sunday, he is 15th Browns QB to start vs. Marvin Lewis Bengals in 26 games"  Geoff Hobson

That's a ridiculous stat.  How can you consistently win with a revolving door at QB/Head coach?

I know at times the conservative nature of Mike Brown/M Lewis has frustrated me but there's a lot to be said for sticking with your vision and the people you hired or drafted.  Just changing things up every 5 minutes never seems to work out and every change brings another rebuilding cycle of hiring /firing.

Apart from injury cover (Fitzmagic) Marvin will probably only have had 2 QB's in Palmer and Dalton by the time he is done as head coach...dread to think how many Browns QB's he'll have faced by the time he is done.
and...there is nothing wrong with 5 straight play-off seasons....only Broncos, Packers and Patriots will do this also.  That is good company to be in. 

Then there is Georgia who just fired a winning coach who is sending more players to the NFL than anybody. Georgia wants National Championships, which is a good goal but maybe not why you fire a winning coach. ....The Dayton Flyers in basketball once fired coach Don Donaher because Dayton wanted to be in the Top 20 every year. For Dayton that was not a realistic goal.  Small Dayton is the type team that sometimes may make the NCAA and in rare seasons go deep in the NCAA as a Cinderella team.  To fire a great coach such as Donaher who was much respected by John Wooden and Bob Knight was a small school with goals that were way to high and impossible. Certainly firing Donoher never put Dayton in the Top 20 every year. ....These are examples of strange changes. 

Now back to Bengals.....Coach Lewis took over the worst franchise in the NFL and has taken them to 7 play-off seasons in 13 years, over 50 % in the play-offs.  Not bad for a franchise that that went 12 straight seasons without play-offs and often in last place. The last 5 years it has been 100 % of the time in the play-offs. ....I'm including 2015 because Bengals are going......Now quarterback Andy Dalton and receiver AJ Green are having 5 play-off seasons in their first 5 years and that also is 100 % .......If that is boring, if stability as opposed to constant change is boring, then give me boring. .....politicians run on the catch word CHANGE.  High School students have always graduated with speeches of changing the world. Change is over rated. More important is success, which often is some needed change for the future mixed with the tried and true people and systems that have created success and stability that makes Wall Street Bullish. ....The Bengals are Bullish and only Broncos, Packers and Patriots are stringing winning seasons together as The Bengals. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Stability...its boring but its better than the alternative - kevin - 12-04-2015, 02:05 PM