Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Expanding the SC aka The end of democracy
(06-24-2022, 09:54 AM)hollodero Wrote: I'm of course not saying you need to stop to talk about racism. There's plenty of issues where it is necessary to do so, like housing, encounters with law enforcement, inherent biases in the workforce that hamper a black person's chances to advance in the workfield and many more, often a legacy of oppression and a result of current biases. Sure, talk about that please. But I'm distinctly saying that at times, it is too much. Like telling a white woman her wearing dreadlocks is condemnable, because cultural appropration. When we get to racial hairstyle police, it's too much. And it's of course not that topic, it's the sum of topics like these. A loud group of natural born accusers always looking for a thing to be outraged about, quite often coming across as pretty narrow-minded and potentially racist as well. Like dismissing what an old white man says just by pointing out he's an old white man, which happens regularly to the applause of many. Not sober, not helpful.

And sure, these are all little things. But overall, at least when listening to certain people with certain agendas, I feel at times the debate crosses the line of being actually patronizing and condescending even. In a sense of over-victimization, for example. The black person needs constant support in anything, his race has been so beaten up by white oppression that he can't possibly make it without us helping all the way. I also feel it makes no sense to teach white people that they have to walk on eggshells and be ubercautious around black people who are so much hurting and so fragile, and if they make a misstep they need to be demonized. At a point some of those mindsets imho create more diversion between the races instead of less. Like the more extreme parts of critical race theory that the right claims is the whole thing while the left claims it does not exist at all. White people are inherently oppressors through their whiteness and black people are inherently victims and let's make a school project about that. Well, my opinion would be, maybe not. And maybe using "old white man" as an insult isn't such a clever trope either. But I know it's just one more of these tiny things that just sum up, sum up to a plethora of viewpoints where I find myself asking, wait, does this make things better, and does this even make sense? Or is there a tendency to put a racial context to as many things as possible to be a good person and it's sometimes too much and more damaging than helpful.

You are busy doing good work elsewhere, so I quite understand if you don't respond to these points/questions. 

1. You seem to side with those who work against racism, recognizing the many sites where work still needs to be done, but follow that with reference to a "loud group of natural born accusers, always looking for something to be outraged about." The latter implies that their criticisms of the current status quo flow from their personality faults, rather than any really existing social problem.  That's a charge leveled against civil rights workers at least since the 1890s, and continuing generation after generation.

2. The claim that "the black person . . . can't possibly make it without us helping all the way" is a common inference made by rightists since the '80s at least, sometimes calling efforts to roll back institutional/economic racism the "soft bigotry of good intentions" (as GW Bush once put it). This charge is leveled directly at those who recognize legal and economic inequality in housing and education and wat to address it with policy. People who actually work for equality of opportunity, e.g., through admissions policies, then become the "real racists."  

3. Would just like a source for the statement "White people are inherently oppressors through their whiteness and black people are inherently victims," language which we find in state legislation outlawing efforts to limit curricular attention to the history of U.S. racial conflict. You've called that one of the "extreme parts" of CRT that the left doesn't acknowledge. If it really is a "part of CRT" then there must be some text or speech somewhere by proponents of CRT which state this.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Expanding the SC aka The end of democracy - Dill - 06-26-2022, 01:09 PM