Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Mass Shooting at San Antonio Elementary School
(06-27-2022, 12:21 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I don't blame the officers, I blame the politicians in charge of the department who ordered them to stand down.  The line officers were placed in a terrible position.  If you disobey orders and storm the room there's no positive outcome for you.  Even if you wildly succeed you're going to be fired for insubordination.  If things don't go well, especially if they go badly, not only are you getting fired you're going to be charged criminally.  So, you have the choice between that and having to standby knowing full well what's happening while you sit on your thumbs.  There's a reason why line officers don't trust anyone at lieutenant rank or above, and this is a perfect example of why.  There are exceptions, to be fair.

All that being said, I don't see any way in hell I'd be able to stand by while that piece of shit murdered children.

I blame the chief, who told the officers to stand down when they were trying to go in. That is my main problem, really. The rest of my issues lie with the department for having such shitty equipment that their radios didn't even work inside the school (even when the chief did have someone bring him a radio because for some reason he showed up on the scene without it).

(06-27-2022, 12:28 PM)Nately120 Wrote: The only worse look would be if the officers shot a legally armed good guy with a gun who was running in to help. Seeing as it is texas, my simple mind is surprised that didnt happen.

There were several parents trying to do exactly that, but they were told to stand down. Not sure if any of them were handcuffed or not. Meanwhile, they let cops with kids in the school go get them while handcuffing a woman for trying to do the same. Interestingly enough, one of the things I was listening to on this topic said that because the cops did this, it may have in fact created a special relationship in which the police had the obligation to protect the children where they normally don't. But, because qualified immunity requires the established right to be well understood by the officer, the chief cannot be held liable for those actions and would still be protected.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Mass Shooting at San Antonio Elementary School - Belsnickel - 06-27-2022, 12:40 PM