Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
10-year-old rape victim denied abortion in OH
(07-04-2022, 08:49 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Viability is actually quite a random point.  No arguments that I have seen on these boards can be dismissed with viability. Just read posts two and five for example. The last sentence of two especially.  If you agree with it I mean.

Also do we move back when a woman can have an abortion as viability changes?

Post 2 was a response to the idea of banning abortion and violating bodily autonomy in general terms. It was not a specific discussion of post-viability, which is the one we're having now. As I stated in post 2, no one should have their autonomy violated by being forced to remain pregnant. That autonomy isn't violated post-viability for the reasons I gave in the post you've quoted, which you really didn't address directly.

In post 5, I was responding to the poster's notion that getting an abortion was akin to "killing a child." Again, to simply deem a fetus a child is to simply deem a sperm a fetus. A sperm remains just a sperm until a certain state is achieved, just as a fetus remains just a fetus until a certain state is achieved. 

As to viability, I'm comfortable with any consensus that is reliant upon the best scientific available at the time. That could change over time, but if we're using that criteria, the evidence based accuracy should bottleneck; where viability can only move back if the greatly increased survival rates and greatly decreased health risks eventually supports the move.

Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: 10-year-old rape victim denied abortion in OH - Lucidus - 07-04-2022, 09:25 PM