Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Displaying bengals games on projector outdoor
(07-08-2022, 11:02 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: My OLED in HD picture beats the **** out of my LED in 4K. 

Well, ya! It sure will. OLED works completely different than an LED. Wildly different, really. A 1080P image on an OLED will destroy a 4K stream on a basic LED... even on more advanced LEDs there's no competition.

The problem with 4K and televisions is that the image is too small to see the resolution difference in typical viewing conditions or sources. Even a 75" display is small for a 4K picture. The pixel density is just too thick (packed in too tight) for the human eye to differentiate - strictly speaking resolution wise.

Where you can see perhaps a little finer res would be, like, still photos of a frogs ass, or something that were natively taken under a microscope. Even then, picture quality wise, most people would select images with other quality traits over just max resolution. We are talking steps in res, not wild jumps like when things went from 525 NTSC interlaced scan lines to 720 or 1080 progressive lines. That's quite significant on typical screen sizes. 1080P (progressive scans) to 4K (interlaced) is a jump in res, yes... but it's already on the boarder of what the human eye can actually take in.

Resolution really comes down to screen size and seating distance.

I remember a training that came out from a projector manufacturer when 1080P started to over take 720p stuff. Basically, taking 20/20 vision into account, you could sit your front row about 11" closer to a 16:9 100" screen than you could a 720P image. After that distance change, all things being equal, you couldn't really see major differences. 4K is basically film like and incredible on large cinema screens. I don't design smaller than 135" any more. Most of my theaters are 16:9 165" and up to create an IMAX feel.

If that sounds gigantic; with a 4K image THX spec recommends a seating distance of 17' on a 16:9 150" screen (if I recall) for the best image quality. On a 50", they calculate that the perfect seating distance is just under 7' for a 4K image. That is insane to most people.... until they see the 150" projection and then minds are blown! lol 150" in 720P was fine, but not amazing. Honestly, some decent 1080P Epson stuff did 180" screens and looked spectacular! That was 2016 and the 1080P projector tech was quite mature at that point.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Displaying bengals games on projector outdoor - PDub80 - 07-08-2022, 09:36 PM