Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Christian Nationalism; The Right-wing Addiction
(07-10-2022, 10:55 PM)Matt_Crimson Wrote: As a Christian myself, I have to say I find the idea of legislating sin to be quite a dilemma I currently find myself battling with.

When I was younger, I always believed that we should have laws that try to stop things like abortion from happening. But as I've gotten older I've found myself questioning this belief.

This really came about when I started thinking about sin as a whole and why ALL sin isn't legislated and why Christians such as myself seem to only cherry pick certain sins like abortion and why we don't look at legislating things such as premarital sex or even something as simple as just lying.

It got me wondering..... Does God really want Christians to legislate sin, or are we off base here? And if we as Christians are to believe that God wants us to legislate sin, I think that leads to a second question, which again I find myself struggling with, which is what is the appropriate punishment? That to me is a very important question I believe a lot of Christians might not ponder.

If you're going to believe that God wants you to legislate sin, you also then have to know what God considers an appropriate punishment, otherwise are you really asserting God's will, or are you simply following your own?

At this point, I'd say I don't really have a belief on the matter of legislating sin, but rather I have put my previous beliefs on hold until I feel I have a satisfying answer.

I'm not a Christian, but I guess this is where the idea of opposing Christian philosophies like predestination and free will come in.  My question in the matter of legislating sin is more for people who believe in predestination.  If God knows all and all that will ever happen, then why would someone who believes in such a thing even attempt to legislate sin?  All events are willed by God himself in this sense, so applying human law based on what God or the Bible would classify as sin is completely futile.  

Laws are made for humanity, not God.  They are how people or governments or whatever human entity happens to be in power maintains order.  They aren't about salvation or righteousness.  Hardcore theocrat politicians at the highest levels serve themselves, and use religion as a carrot to bring the believing masses to heel. They trick people into thinking that serving a politician or party is the same as serving God.

I totally understand why Christians want to have influence in politics and law, but it makes no logical sense to me.  It seems like a waste of energy for a group of people that believes in the will of God being the only thing determining anything that ever happens.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Christian Nationalism; The Right-wing Addiction - samhain - 07-11-2022, 09:55 PM