Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Christian Nationalism; The Right-wing Addiction
I never stated you claimed God was not supernatural. I was explaining my reasoning as to what my "standard" as opposed to what you asserted it to be. There's no "axe" involved, but rather an explanation of my position on evidence and available methods, or lack thereof.

If a belief is based on what someone thinks a supernatural entity said or thinks, then yes, that particular part of the person's position should be most certainly be discounted if they assert that it should apply to anyone other than themselves. If they have other arguments that don't involve what that entity says or thinks, then those can be presented and evaluated.

Should we allow any group's beliefs to have a powerful influence in American politics, as long as the beliefs contain at least at least one good idea? See, the issue isn't the beliefs per se. As I stated, people are free to believe anything they want. The issue is when people want to force the conclusion of those beliefs on everyone because they feel justified by supernatural authority. 

It's not a broad stroke. It's a very specific stroke; religion having unwarranted influence on our politics based on an ideology dependent on the pronouncements of an entity we can't question.

There are also religious people who agree that their beliefs can't be justified other than by faith, and that religion should stay out of politics -- respecting separation of church and state. Are those religious people also hating on religion? I find those people to be incredibly honest and have a great deal of respect for them.

Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Christian Nationalism; The Right-wing Addiction - Lucidus - 07-12-2022, 09:43 PM