Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Christian Nationalism; The Right-wing Addiction
(07-13-2022, 04:26 PM)Lucidus Wrote: In the Pew Research numbers I cited in the OP, 68% of all Christians surveyed thought that laws should be influenced at least somewhat by the Bible. That's a disturbing number and definitely more than just the extremists. While it's the hardcore Evangelical movement that is the driving force in terms of the desire for Christian Nationalism, there are far too many moderate Christians who seem to share the Evangelical idea of using the Bible to influence law and policy. 

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding; but are you stating that belief in God, by way of Jesus, isn't extremely important? That would seem to render John 3:16-18 rather useless. 

As difficult as it is for me, I will refrain from espousing my thoughts on the Catholic Church.

There's no denying that everyone interprets the Biblical passages in their own way. Sometimes for very nefarious reasons. Sometimes for selfish reasons. Sometimes for innocuous reasons. 

If you're stating the Bible should be viewed as simply a literary work, then I agree. 

I'll leave this one alone as well.

I understand what you're trying to say, but at the same time, we must acknowledge that for any instance of meaningful allegory, there is also an utterly absurd or disturbing instruction meant to be taken very literally.

This is part of the problem. You could view the Noah's ark story as allegory. However, the means of "starting anew" required the extermination of every single human except for one chosen group. That seems an incredibly dangerous allegory.

Sorry I don’t know how to break out just my quote. All of the following statements are my own beliefs, in a rough probably not completely accurate, view of God. Yes I am saying that your eternal self is quite safe. I believe Jesus was Misinterpreted and misquoted. There is nothing you or I have to do. This isn’t a test which would be a ridiculous endeavor by God. You come into this world knowing nothing and God is going to give you X amount of years to figure it out or He will torture you forever. PS He loves you unconditionally. Huh? There’s no rational purpose to that. I think that we and everything else is God. The separation that we experience as reality is in fact the illusion. I still try to work out a lot, and cannot give answers that will satisfy anyone, but the thing is, the more I ponder this God and not the God of religion, the more I’m convinced there is something there.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Christian Nationalism; The Right-wing Addiction - michaelsean - 07-13-2022, 09:46 PM