Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bates - No Intentions Reporting to Camp or Play on Tag
(07-18-2022, 02:14 PM)J24 Wrote: Come on dude you have to look at from the players perspective a bit. If the dude gets seriously injured or worse the Bengals can just cut him if they want too. The dude is looking out for his best interests and quite frankly looking for proper compensation. 

I am looking at it from Jessie's perspective.

If what Sled said is true and he got offered top 3 Safety money and turned it down it was crazy stupid of him or his agent.

Probably his agent who is all about himself and not Jessie from what I know about the guy. He the greedy man.

Jessie should be paid fairly but not enough to hurt the team. I would think Jessie would want the same.

(07-18-2022, 02:19 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: If they want to retain guys like Burrow and Chase or sign high prized free agents in the future, they are going to DRASTICALLY have to change their stance on the guaranteed money of contract structure. It's where the NFL is trending. This is where I get worried.

Same.

(07-18-2022, 02:21 PM)ochocincos Wrote: You don't think Bates is as good as ANY of those guys?

I could probably argue easily 3 of those guys.

When comparing their stats 2018-2021 regular season:
Bates - 10 INTs, 35 PDs, 2 FFs, 408 tackles
Reid - 7 INTs, 23 PDs, 2 FF, 315 tackles
Baker - 5 INTs, 20 PDs, 3 FFs, 465 tackles
Williams - 11 INTs, 31 PDs, 3 FFs, 247 tackles
Jackson - 8 INTs, 27 PDs, 7 FFs, 269 tackles
Fitzpatrick - 13 INTs, 36 PDs, 4 FFs, 352 tackles
Byard - 15 INTs, 37 PDs, 3 FFs, 373 tackles

I think you can easily argue Bates is deserving of as much or more as Reid, Baker, Williams, Jackson.
I think a deal of 3 years, $45 mill with $22-25 mill guaranteed is very fair.

Stats aren't everything either. Bates had games where he completely whiffed on tackles and got beat many times
especially last year early on in the regular season. He was pretty bad honestly most of last regular season. He shown 
up in the Playoffs and SB and played great though as we all know.

Argue all you want if you think Bates is better than a couple of those guys. He is a better single high Safety than 
about all of them. We could agree on that. Great range and he is a ballhawk single high Safety.

I wanted him back, but not now if he turned down top 3 Safety money simply cause of guaranteed millions of dollars.

Sounds like greed to me. Don't want it around. These guys make great money, no more drama.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bates - No Intentions Reporting to Camp or Play on Tag - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 07-18-2022, 02:58 PM