Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bates - No Intentions Reporting to Camp or Play on Tag
(07-18-2022, 02:58 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I am looking at it from Jessie's perspective.

If what Sled said is true and he got offered top 3 Safety money and turned it down it was crazy stupid of him or his agent.

Probably his agent who is all about himself and not Jessie from what I know about the guy. He the greedy man.

Jessie should be paid fairly but not enough to hurt the team. I would think Jessie would want the same.

Same.

Stats aren't everything either. Bates had games where he completely whiffed on tackles and got beat many times
especially last year early on in the regular season. He was pretty bad honestly most of last regular season. He shown 
up in the Playoffs and SB and played great though as we all know.

Argue all you want if you think Bates is better than a couple of those guys. He is a better single high Safety than 
about all of them. We could agree on that. Great range and he is a ballhawk single high Safety.

I wanted him back, but not now if he turned down top 3 Safety money simply cause of guaranteed millions of dollars.

Sounds like greed to me. Don't want it around. These guys make great money, no more drama.

Bates did have some games where he didn't play great, but I guarantee you every one of those other safeties has too.
You pay a guy for what you think he can do over the course of the next contract, and you use the previous years' evidence to back up that prediction.

From the Bengals' perspective, they'll likely say that it's basically guaranteed because they don't move on from someone until maybe the final year of their contract. So essentially all years besides that final year can be viewed as guaranteed.

But from Bates' perspective, that's still not guaranteed that they would absolutely not move on prior to final year or at all.
And when you're talking the difference of potentially $10+ mill you could guarantee to have, that is a big deal.

The reality is someone will likely give Bates the years and guaranteed money he wants, but the Bengals can't/won't pay everyone. They are going to prioritize Burrow first, and then probably Chase and then Hendrickson right after. Higgins also has to be considered, as well as Jonah Williams.

I don't view it as greed by Bates. I view it as the league set this market, and this is what happens when you reset the market for safeties (or any position) like this.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bates - No Intentions Reporting to Camp or Play on Tag - ochocincos - 07-18-2022, 03:21 PM