Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Arizona communities would 'collapse' without cheap prison labor, Corrections director
(07-19-2022, 02:25 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I agree with this.  If you are going to incarcerate people, then you need to be solely responsible for them.  You don't get to hand it off.

As to your later post about crack vs powder, crack caused way more problems in society than powder.  Jesus I think even Fred made that point.

Not really, when you consider that you can't make crack without powdered cocaine in the first place.  It was certainly associated with more street level violence, which is always going to attract more attention and ire.

(07-19-2022, 03:32 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: One of the reasons I feel (certainly not the only one) is just location/residence. A large percentage of blacks live in and close around bigger cities. There's dozens and dozens even hundreds of police in and around their living areas and hangouts. They're on the streets and visible.

There's a good portion of the white criminal element/drug dealers and so on who live in the more rural areas, smaller cities, even up a holler. They're out of sight and out of mind. They can easily disappear into the outback. I know even in my little town I can take you to a half dozen known drug houses and very little is done. 

This is by far not the only reason. Racism is certainly much higher on the list of problems. But I do feel it's a factor. It's just easier to get away with it when you're not under the bright lights with a cop on every corner.

There's definitely some truth to this.  Being in a high crime area means you are more likely to be caught for anything you do.  Engaging in criminal conduct is not exactly unknown for young adolescent boys of any ethnicity, but if you're more likely to get caught for this youthful "exuberance" then you're more likely to enter the system.  And once you're in the system it's much easier to stay in it than to get in it initially.  There have been some advances in this area with diversion programs, but IMO they start them at too late an age, around 12-13.  You need to get to the high risk kids much earlier than that, I'm talking second or third grade.  Trust when I tell you that teachers can easily identify their high risk kids at that age.  
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Arizona communities would 'collapse' without cheap prison labor, Corrections director - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 07-19-2022, 05:33 PM