Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Democrats set votes to protect same-sex marriage and contraception
(07-19-2022, 08:16 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I always like to know the entire content of a bill before I get on people for not voting for it.  I will say if it's a straight (no pun intended) codifying of same sex marriage then I would be disappointed by that number as well. 

Yeah, you're likely right on the first point, although I would hope it's not nearly as big a deal for their voter base as your stating.  As to your second point, that's also likely correct.  I may be a bit of a Pollyanna on this issue, but I just don't see same sex marriage being overturned by SCOTUS like Roe.  It's on super solid constitutional ground and I don't even know the mental gymnastics needed to state otherwise. 

I feel like it would be similar to abortion.  Many will point out that it isn't technically banned nationwide, and that's true.  It is however up to the states to ban it and many have or soon will.  If marriage equality is left up to states, I'd have to think several would be happy to ban it.  

The Republicans should have the ball in their court (no pun intended) in the very near future.  The Court isn't swaying any time soon, and it would defy all logic for them not to gain back the House.  

The thing they need to be careful of is just how far they can go on issues that a majority of Americans disagree with them on before it has an impact on their electoral fortunes.  Their elected officials are still dealing with the internal conflict between MAGA candidates and more moderate, traditional conservatives.  They don't have much to fear in traditional red states, but other places like the states Biden won in close races will be a problem is they press their advantage too hard.  That's kind of what they are good at, though.  
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Democrats set votes to protect same-sex marriage and contraception - samhain - 07-19-2022, 11:48 PM