Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why is Mike Brown always bashed as the worst owner in football
(07-27-2022, 01:07 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Up until a year or two ago, you could hear the same thing here. It's simply not true. Wasn't true then, isn't true then. Same as the "cheap" label. Going back through contracts in the past, the Bengals may not have always paid top dollar, but they were far from bottom dollar. Carson Palmer, I believe, set a record at the time if I remember right.

I disagree about Mike Brown not being cheap, even though he might spend money on players. 

He has cut so many corners, like no indoor practice field (until now), the smallest scouting department, and we have one of the smallest, if not the smallest, front offices in the league, among other things.

I think it's just because Mike Brown thought that he could run a successful franchise and have a winning team by doing the least work and spending the least money possible.

That's why Palmer left: he felt like Mike Brown wasn't being aggressive enough in trying to win.

Quote:“Maybe a day or two after the season I called Mr. Brown and said, ‘Hey, can we talk? You have to be aggressive in pursuit of winning,’ ” 

When you have a quarterback as good as Palmer, Mike Brown should have been doing everything in his power to surround Palmer with the best team to win, which the fact that he only fired Bob Bratkowski (his friend) in an attempt to lure Carson back.

I also remember a story of a big time free agent defensive lineman getting on a airplane to come visit and Mike Brown was too cheap to buy him a first class ticket, so he couldn't even fit his legs in the seat and then just got off the plane and didn't even come.

Now, since it looks like Katie and Troy are taking over and opening the pocket book a bit, let's hope that we see an improvement on the field.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why is Mike Brown always bashed as the worst owner in football - BFritz21 - 07-27-2022, 02:59 PM