Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Democrats Dangerously Close To Changing Laws So President Is Elected By Popular Vote
(07-29-2022, 02:20 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Aren't we flirting with straight minority rule?  I always assume bad intentions and tyrants will seek the easiest path to victory.

How so?  Have the Dems been unable to pass any legislation since holding the White House and both branches of Congress?  

Quote:I will admit I have some recency bias here since the closest thing I've seen to a tyrant in my mind is Trump and the popular vote would have kept him from ever attaining power.

Understandable.  But that, on its own, is not a reason to completely undue a keystone of our nations governance.  Let's put it this way, and the answer is patently obvious, would all the people clamoring for these changes be of the same opinion if their ideological opponents were currently the "majority'?  We both know the answer is a huge, hell no.  It's built into us to whinge about things when they don't go our way and then laud the same rules when the benefit us, look no further than SCOTUS for perfect examples.  If rule are consistently applied then they will benefit you at times and not others.  Actively trying to change the rules when they don't is the absolute beginning of the disintegration of governance.  Take packing the SCOTUS for example.  The rational people on the left correctly point out that doing so will simply enable the GOP to do the exact same thing when they're, inevitably, in power.  Then we end up with a SCOTUS with 100+ justices.  No, if you want foundational change then it absolutely must come from within the current framework, otherwise just start the clock ticking on the nation's disintegration.  Not that that hasn't already happened, an argument can certainly be made.  
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Democrats Dangerously Close To Changing Laws So President Is Elected By Popular Vote - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 07-29-2022, 02:54 PM