Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mitchell Trubisky Is SUCKING ASS!
(08-12-2022, 09:25 PM)Stewy Wrote: Your friend is seriously delusional.  The Steelers drafted at least 4 QBs between Bradshaw (82) and Ben Roth (2004) - all journeymen, none of them got a second contract with Pittsburgh and all left Pukesburgh to go be someone elses backup.  That's 22 years of drafting mediocrity.

Look at these world beaters.  Seriously delusional.
Mark Malone
Bubby Brister
Neil O'Donnel
Kordell Stewart

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Pittsburgh_Steelers_starting_quarterbacks

How many of those guys did Kevin Colbert draft?  Other than the Rooneys themselves, I don’t think anyone involved in those decisions is even remotely associated with the team today.  To put it in perspective, Chuck Noll was the coach when every one of those guys but Stewart was drafted.  

Go Cards’ friend may not know his history, but he’s not wrong to have faith in the folks who called the shots for the 2022 draft.  Over his career, Colbert has a pretty darned good overall track record with the draft.  He may not have drafted a long list of franchise qbs, but he's only attempted it one other time, and that turned out pretty well.  

So ... if it makes you feel better to take solace in Steeler failures of the distant past, knock yourself out.  But the guy who drafted Pickett had absolutely nothing to do with any of that. And if you think what happened in the 80s and 90s has any bearing at all on Pickett's chances for success, you're the one who's delusional.

Finally, I think it's worth noting that of the guys you listed, only Malone was drafted in the first round. Back in the day, the Steelers had an old-school philosophy. Defense, line and running back were top priorities, with QB sometimes almost being an afterthought. Admittedly, they should have evolved from that paradigm far earlier than they eventually did, as their stubbornness led to the mediocrity of the 80s and earliy 90s. But I think it's fair to say that the reason they didn't draft a franchise quarterback during that time is largely because ... they weren't really trying for that.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Mitchell Trubisky Is SUCKING ASS! - JS-Steelerfan - 08-14-2022, 03:46 AM