Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Bengals OL drills getting slammed on twitter...
(08-16-2022, 01:50 PM)tms Wrote: It's one of the reasons why I thought Carman was a silly pick, irrespective of his talent or Pollack. You can't make any picks in a vacuum; perception is reality in this league. Any draft hound will tell you it’s one of the most overlooked reasons for why you should think twice… three times… ten times before reaching. It’s not just about picking the “right” guy, it’s also about protecting your asset. Sometimes reaching works out (like Cole Strange in Foxboro- he seems to be doing okay). But most of the time you’re forcing the kid to swim upstream from Day 1. Which is especially risky when you’re dealing with a disaster zone like the Bengals’ OL. You have less margin for error in that context, and you're further impinging on his chance to succeed. That’s not on the fans or Carman imo; that’s on the team for being short-sighted and lacking self-awareness. Whether you’re running a business or a football team, it reflects poor management. Some players (even the “right” players) need to be given a soft landing… for their sake and ultimately your own.

I have no idea what this means but Carman was not really a reach.  He was rated as a 2nd round pick.

It cracks me up when a player is taken much later than the "experts" predict everyone says the experts were wrong and the NFL teams were correct, but when a player is taken earlier than the "experts" predict then everyone says the "experts" were correct and the team "reached".
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bengals OL drills getting slammed on twitter... - fredtoast - 08-16-2022, 04:24 PM