Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Let's talk about income inequality
(06-06-2015, 09:02 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Provide more free education.  Provide more vocational type programs in high school for those that are not going to college.

I agree with vocational programs. We already have public education that is not only free, but mandated to all who want it.

Provide health care and day care.

In existence.

Provide birth control.

Available, but needs to be incentivized to use it more. Instead, we pay more for having more children, which has the opposite effect.

Basically instead of giving people money for not working give them support for all the things that is keeping them from working.

Clarify.

Raise minimum wage.

Would only raise the cost of living as employers passed on the wage increase in their products. People in that situation now wouldnt be any better off.

Help the people who are working.

What does this mean?

I responded in bold to your solutions. The problem is, we already have most of those in place. 

On the birth control point, I've thought the idea of incentivizing voluntary long term birth control should be considered. For example, if someone has two kids, instead of giving them more welfare to have more kids, how about giving them more to NOT have more kids? If a woman chooses to get birth control implants that are good for 5 years, she gets a bigger check. If she voluntarily gets her tubes tied, she gets an even bigger check. That way, people on welfare are having fewer children, and the children they already have are provided for better since they are getting more money to do so with the voluntary action. I feel that even though the process could be totally voluntary, some would oppose saying its coercion. I think some lawmakers see a value in a dependent constituency.

Here in my county we have a school called the career center. Students who are not going to college can enter in their junior year and get trained in things like construction, HVAC, and electrical trades. But they also have programs for veterinary assistants, firefighters and police traing, and cosmetology.....among may others. I think a return to more ideas like that are important. But we have misguidedly gotten the idea that all students should go to college. As nice as that sounds, its just not realistic. Not all students are cut out for continued academics.

So those are two of my solutions I think would help.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Let's talk about income inequality - Beaker - 06-06-2015, 10:29 AM