Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
7 Winners & 3 Losers From Week 2 Against The Giants
(08-22-2022, 12:12 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: We cannot go back to the standards of Marvin Lewis and expect our QB to not lose the game for us. We are in a new place with a new higher floor our QB must be able to get yards and touchdowns {on throws not handing it off}.

Realistically, it is hard enough to find a decent starting QB. It is even harder to find a decent backup. Here is a list of FA QBs as it stands right now...

1. Newton
  2. Glennon
  3. McCarron
  4. Hundley
  5. Garrett Gilbert
  6. Nate Stanley
  7. Kevin Hogan
  8. Jake Luton
  9. Kurt Benkert
  10. Anthony Gordon
  11. Ryan Willis
  12. Felix Harper
  13. Brandon Peters
  14. Davis Cheek
  15. Luis Perez
  16. Levi Lewis
  17. D'Eriq King
  18. Kyle Sloter
  19. Cole Kelly
I have had this conversation with other folks this off-season. There are a few common questions/responses that come up, so I will just provide answers to those now...

1. Why did you leave Ryan Fitzpatrick off your list? Spotrac has him listed as the top FA QB, he's better than Allen. - Ryan Fitzpatrick retired in June. Link.
  2. So, are you saying we just shouldn't even try because it is hard? - No, I never said that. If you can show me a QB that is better than Allen right now, then sure, let's sign him. I don't see a guy on this list that is definitively better than Allen, though. 
  3. Just pick one. It can't get any worse than Allen. - It most definitely can. You ever heard of Davis Cheek? Yeah, me either. In all reality, even guys like Glennon or McCarron are not clear cut upgrades. Glennon threw 4 TDs and 10 INTs in action last season. McCarron has managed a 66 QB rating since he left Cincinnati, and has only been good enough to attempt 41 total passes. 
  4. Just sign Newton. He's better. - Maybe. Maybe not. Over the last two seasons, he has 12 TDs to 15 INTs passing. He does have 17 TDs rushing, though. He still provides value there. He is a completely different QB than Joe is, though, so the offense would look substantially different between the two. 

I am probably forgetting something, but that is what I usually run into in these conversations. If there is a guy that is clearly better than Allen, I am all for it. Right now, there just isn't, so why make the move if you are bringing in a guy that doesn't provide a certain upgrade? 
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: 7 Winners & 3 Losers From Week 2 Against The Giants - KillerGoose - 08-22-2022, 12:34 PM