Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
7 Winners & 3 Losers From Week 2 Against The Giants
(08-22-2022, 02:51 PM)Au165 Wrote: Correct, It's a sight adjustment and the Corner was on top so you break it off at 12-15 and comeback. 

Brandon Allen actually looked good to me last night which is why this is funny. When playing with back up receivers it's hard because where your starters end up on plays versus backups can be a lot different. The slot fade to Taylor was a really good ball as was placed right where you want it. The big difference is Taylor is 5-8 vs 6 foot + so to most our receivers the ball is right in front of their outstretched arms. That is a timing and location throw, you throw it to a specific spot on time and it's your receivers job to be where he needs to be and that was perfect.

There was another pass in the first half that was a go ball that I thought looked perfect while in the air that Morgan couldn't quite get to. Again, this seems like one where a better receiver fights through Jackson's physicality and get to where that ball was. Now I am not saying he was perfect by any means but I think Brandon Allen is a fine back up. Back ups in the NFL don't get much in the way of reps so it's important for them to be heady guys. Their main job is to get QB1 ready during the week and then be an extra set of eyes on the sideline. 

Bill Polian was once asked why they never invested more in a back up for Manning. His response was that if 18 goes down we are F'd and we don't prepare for F'd. In a way it's true. When you have a really high end QB1 he usually covers for blemishes on the roster that no back up can cover for anyways. 

No late round/UDFA rookie is going to do what you actually want QB2 to do and that is help QB1, so we do everything we can to help Joe and hope for the best. The team is actually built decently to go run heavy and hang their hat on the defense if Burrow has to miss a week or two. At that point you want Allen to be able to get them into the right plays with his eyes and head more so then go win with his arm.

I thought I was the only one that was NOT perplexed by his performance last night; I saw maybe 3 missed throws, but nothing egregious. And he had what, 2 turnover-worthy plays in 40 snaps or whatever?

As much as I like Plitt (I acknowledge he is just here for camp), he had 2 snaps and 1 of them was turnover-worthy.

I think the best contrast for Brandon Allen is to see his game against the Browns last year.

With Ja'Marr Chase: 2/2, 26 yards or whatever.
Without Ja'Marr Chase: 13/27, 110 yards, with being surrounded by ALL backups and playing the 1st string Cleveland D (save for Ward, who was out injured).

It's like the last game against Bmore in 2020; he gets a MASSIVE completion to Higgins (which was incorrectly overturned) and the Tee gets hurt. Who are his receivers for the rest of the game? An uncaring AJ and a hobbled Boyd who could barely walk 2 weeks prior and missed the game the previous week, which made Mike Thomas as the only healthy WR, that wasn't indifferent (and I know; Allen had a rough game, accuracy-wise).

If you removed that game, his 2020 numbers were:

84/121 (69.4%), 877 yards (7.2 YPA), 5 TD, 3 INT, good for a 93.8 Passer Rating.

I personally feel that ^^this^^ is the real Brandon Allen, a game manager that will not win the game for you (as he doesn't have any elite traits that he can sit back and rely on), but won't lose it either (as he takes care of the ball and doesn't put you in a position to lose).

Add to that, he is well-liked in the lockerroom, knows the system well, is great with the Xs and Os on the field and the sideline, you have the makings of a more-than worthy backup QB.

Last night was the identical sitch to Cleveland last year. Looking forward to seeing him against the Rams.

(08-22-2022, 03:06 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: Allen provides zero chance to win IMO.

Still not laying off the bong?

(08-22-2022, 04:12 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Thaddeus Moss his blocking looks improved from last season. He is still a liability in the passing game though. He has improved but is it enough? With Sample hurt we may have to go with Moss or look elsewhere,

He is?

He had 1 target last night, got 9 yards and almost trucked 2 defenders to get the first down.

He was only 1 of 2 targets to TEs, last night (the other being Scotty Washington).
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: 7 Winners & 3 Losers From Week 2 Against The Giants - Truck_1_0_1_ - 08-22-2022, 04:19 PM