Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
RUMOR - Biden to announce cancellation of student debt
(08-24-2022, 03:20 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: You act like this is the only action being taken. I hear constantly about efforts to reduce college costs coming from the federal and state levels. The announcement itself had indications about plans to help this problem going forward in the future. This is big news because it is a short-term success and a good lede, but this is far from the only thing being done.

This is the "big" move before the mid terms. You know how you know that? Because they would be telling us about all the other things they are doing to fix the problem but instead they are touting 10k leading into the mid terms. They could have been doing more this whole time but all they have been focused on his how much are they going to forgive and are they going to extend the moratorium. 

As I said, this money is money wasted because the interest will accrue back up for many of these people very quickly. It didn't fix the problem at hand and the people starting school right now who are taking these same loans are going to be screwed in 4 short years like everyone who just had their stuff forgiven. Biden could instruct the DoE to change the qualifications for federal student loans today that would disqualify many institutions that are gouging their students. With the threat of being excluded from federal money they would find a way to make their offerings more affordable, I guarantee it.

This was a political move, nothing more. It had to be done in some fashion because it was promised during the campaign but it will do little to solve the problem. I am pretty liberal but I push for things that actually create change not act as illusions of change.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: RUMOR - Biden to announce cancellation of student debt - Au165 - 08-24-2022, 03:56 PM