Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is It Time for the Bengals to Go All In?
(08-28-2022, 11:21 AM)samhain Wrote: I think they are right where they need to be.  Unlike a lot of teams on the extreme end of going all in, they've retained basically all of their draft capital while continuing to address weaknesses on the roster through FA.  The FAs they are bringing in aren't the dumpster dive signings of old, either.  

I suppose it would be nice to get a high end LG or interior d-lineman to shoe things up.  On the other hand, I fell pretty strongly that the best practice for roster building is still utilizing the ability to develop talent in-house while it's still affordable.  

Could we replace a Volson with a bigger name?  Could they pay money for a guy like Suh on the open market?  I guess.  I'd rather take some time to see if players like Carter and Volson can get the job done and perhaps even become major franchise building blocks in time.  

Maybe next year there will be a glaring need that they will have an opportunity to acquire in FA, and I'm good with it if they go that route.  I just want to see youth get a chance to prove out.  If they can't develop drafted talent, then long term success in the Burrow era is a mirage.  

The free agent game is a supplemental tool that needs to be used wisely to build a roster.  It's not the primary means of talent acquisition, and it definitely doesn't take precedent over in-house development.

Yes, they need to coach up the young guys that they draft in order for this team to have success for a long time.

I think they can too, love how they have built this roster to where we are only looking at a couple spots on the team that 
are questions. Used to be a lot of spots, now it is LG and backup 3-tech and I already like Volson and Carman and especially
Zach Carter who has shown some damn good pass rush moves this Preseason and got a Sack Fumble yesterday. Volson or 
Carman WILL look better with Jonah and Ted next to them instead of D'Ante Smith/Prince/Trey Hill/Gailliard.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is It Time for the Bengals to Go All In? - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 08-28-2022, 05:13 PM