Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So you think Trump won't be elected again in 2024. Wanna bet?
(09-08-2022, 11:58 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: That isn't going to solve the problem. Punishing those addicted to drugs won't make them stop using drugs. Hell, we already do punish drug addicts. Many of these people don't want to be addicted to drugs, but they have a horrifically tough time stopping. In my opinion, the honest answer is somewhere in the realm of what Portugal is doing, which is decriminalization of all drugs. Since decriminalizing drugs in 2000, Portugal has seen drug use decrease, largely because of their support system they have in place to assist addicts. Instead of treating addicts like criminals, they treat them like patients and view drug use as a public health issue.

I agree with their viewpoint. Not saying this is you, necessarily, but many folks in the U.S. have hard on for punishment. We have a long history of punishment not working, though. Alcohol was illegal, and now it is the most prevalent drug on the face of the earth. The punishment for breaking prohibition was a $5k fine ($86k in todays money) or a year in jail, or both. That certainly stopped no one. The current penalty for possession of heroin in Oklahoma is a felony with a minimum of two years in prison. Up to 10 years. It goes up to 20 years for the second time. That hasn't stopped anyone, heroin use is increasing. 

Anyways, drug addicts need help, not punishment. 

Agreed.  Our system is basically "If you have a drug that we legally say could ruin your life, we have the duty to throw you in prison and ruin your life."  Life is weird like that and times change, as with the booze example.  From a major crime to paaaaaarrrty time in the mere span of a lifetime.

Similar I guess to how you could spend $50 on the same amount of pepper entire ships full of people would sink into the chilly grave of the ocean to procure at one point.  Well, maybe it would cost more than that, but you get my point.

EDIT - I"m rambling again, but my main point was to bring up how odd it is (actually, it's not odd at all to see him say something insane and hypocrital) to see Trump bring up executions for drug dealers at the same time he and his cohorts are pushing the narrative that the justice department is coming after and framing conservatives. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: So you think Trump won't be elected again in 2024. Wanna bet? - Nately120 - 09-08-2022, 12:06 PM