Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why didnt Zac drain the clock at end of OT
(09-11-2022, 07:09 PM)Nepa Wrote: It worked in terms of the long snapper not throwing it over Huber's head or into the ground. Taylor might have had zero confidence in the long snapper, so he figured let him totally surprise the Steelers and snap it as if it were a practice snap. Put it on the defense to hold them, rather than put the Steelers in field goal range because of a bad snap. 

But, I do wonder when Taylor realized that the long snapper was so bad. Because if he realized it earlier, then they wouldn't have kicked on third down, but gone for the touchdown. Don't they have a back up long snapper practicing?  Was it only when he snapped it so bad on the field goal try that Taylor realized the problem they had with him snapping?

I completely get making it as less pressurised a snap as possible, but I just don't see what you achieve by doing it that earlier, rather than say 4 seconds early, other than asking the Steelers to go and win the game. They would be expecting a snap at the last second, so doing it 2-3 seconds early would have achieved the same thing, without giving the Steelers a great chance at taking the game away.

I'll say what I said in the game day thread... what was the contingency here? Would we have kicked for 0 points in the Super Bowl had Clark Harris been ill the night before or something? How can you possibly go into a game in the NFL, and not have a contingency for these things? I'm not expecting the Special Teams snapping to be perfect if our dedicated guy goes out, but it looked to me like we had zero plan if our Long Snapper wasn't ready to go. And that's something which can obvious happen at the drop of the hat. That's just ridiculous to me.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why didnt Zac drain the clock at end of OT - TheCincinnatiKid - 09-11-2022, 07:20 PM