Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why didnt Zac drain the clock at end of OT
(09-12-2022, 08:49 AM)TheCincinnatiKid Wrote: And you're trying way too hard to create a narrative that doesn't work (at least in my case). It was Burrow's worst performance to date. He was appalling. He was also part of what got us back into the game (after 10000 last chances) which is something the kicking unit didn't manage, but it's not lost on me that Burrow would take us to a 1-16 record with a season full of those games. We did overcome his performance though, it only took an Extra Point for us to have done so. But I'm aware the loss is far more on him than the kicking unit.

My point isn't about roster spots, but is about the emergency guy has to be in a better position to take over. Nobody expected it to be perfect, there's a reason he's the emergency relief, but we literally went from one of the best kicking units in the league, to that.  It's not just the snapper either, there was no block on Fitzpatrick (who wasn't the furthest outside guy) for the Extra Point. We don't bleed the clock on the OT punt. Huber takes a crappy snap and doesn't help his already shaky kicking unit out, by just sitting on the ball. That's more a collapse than just 'emergency guy choked'. It's a lack of readiness and contingency, considering we only needed one unfortunate injury to be put in that position.

Could very much have stomached kicks beyond 40 yards being no longer sensible, but they couldn't get the most basic of kicking-related things down. We'd have been punting on Extra Points in the Super Bowl with this unit in, and you just can't have that. 

Only plus is such a debacle will have them more ready in the future.

Yeah, I can agree about the kicking game debacle for sure. It's just my point is we never should've been in that position to begin with. We should've steamrolled those guys. We kicked their ass in every single statistical category, but at the end of the day, the -5 turnover differential is the reason we lost. Those other things are inconsequential if you don't give the Steelers a TD with a terrible pick six and four other turnovers. Lap said it today, Taylor said it yesterday, and so did I and a few others. This is the only place NOT saying the five turnovers are what beat us....lol. 

I do appreciate his ability to move on after mistakes, and I LOVE having him as our QB, I'm just not gonna trip over myself to absolve him. If our defense doesn't stifle Pittsburgh, I don't think he has an opportunity to try and get us back in the game. It could've been a lot worse. No team in the league has won a minus five turnover differential in like ten years. You can't turn the ball over that many times at any level and expect to win. We can dissect every little nuance of the game to the nth degree, but the fact remains, the five turnovers are what sunk us....and caused these other issues to become a problem. In fact, we're not even playing OT without the pick six.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why didnt Zac drain the clock at end of OT - Wyche'sWarrior - 09-12-2022, 08:59 AM