Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
PFF Week 1, top 5 and bottom 5
(09-15-2022, 08:26 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: There are plenty of points and relationships in football. This just isn’t one of them. There is a reason why many people believe that your run game isn’t really that important, and it is because it isn’t normally. Cincinnati was one of the best offensive teams last season and they had a terrible run offense, as a quick example.

Not everything that we think is logically true, is true.

(09-15-2022, 10:51 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Well...it does. What they're saying is, running well doesn't mean your play action game is "better". There's nothing to support that. 

Overall, simply adding play action makes your passing game mo' betta, because there are certain things a defender does based on formation and keys and what a player has been taught over the years. 

This is just a case where, back in the day, someone came up with a cool catchphrase and it's just hard to get away from that mentality--even though hours and hours of reasearch and data show it not to be true. 

(09-15-2022, 12:35 PM)Whatever Wrote: There's also a perception bias that plays into it.  Everyone can remember isolated instances of play action passes going for long gains against loaded boxes on 3rd/4th and short when the offense has been running all day.  That fools people into thinking it's more of a correlation than what there is.  We don't typically remember all the times the QB had to check it down to the TE in the flat for a 3 yard gain or the defense doesn't get fooled and the QB gets smacked or throws it away.  

I would also wager that play action in general is a case of diminishing returns.  The more you use it in a game, the less effective it becomes as the opposition comes to expect it.  

Another big thing is good playcallers will show tendencies in order to take advantage of the opposition cheating towards those tendencies.  Play calling is a chess match and good playcallers will sacrifice plays here and there to set up something big later.  That's one of the reasons the Bengals have been such a good 2nd half team the past year or so.

(09-15-2022, 01:05 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Boomer Esiason was the greatest play action QB to play the game, this is logically and factually true.  He and Brooks confused the camera guy multiple times each game.  Sadly Joe has zero desire to get to that level, and I get it, in todays game the goal is simply to freeze the LBs for a second.

We need to fix the predictability under center and with Sample.  No way Callahan AND Zac dont see this?

It is a great conversation that really makes me think. I just see examples of as Casear here says with Boomer and our 
great running game in the late 80's with Ickey and the boys and the Titans much more recently with Tannehill and King 
Henry and how play-action was so effective. To me these 2 examples argue that a great running game really makes 
play-action THAT much more effective. But I am sure there are tons of examples that argue different...

Like us last year as KillerGoose says.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
PFF Week 1, top 5 and bottom 5 - SHRacerX - 09-13-2022, 09:07 AM
RE: PFF Week 1, top 5 and bottom 5 - J24 - 09-13-2022, 03:40 PM
RE: PFF Week 1, top 5 and bottom 5 - M.W. - 09-17-2022, 12:04 PM
RE: PFF Week 1, top 5 and bottom 5 - Nepa - 09-13-2022, 10:48 AM
RE: PFF Week 1, top 5 and bottom 5 - tms - 09-13-2022, 01:02 PM
RE: PFF Week 1, top 5 and bottom 5 - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 09-15-2022, 01:27 PM
RE: PFF Week 1, top 5 and bottom 5 - tms - 09-16-2022, 08:11 PM
RE: PFF Week 1, top 5 and bottom 5 - tms - 09-17-2022, 10:33 AM