Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I think it's time to officially call Pollack to task.
(09-19-2022, 03:21 PM)Joelist Wrote: When you look and see the linemen are not being physically beat and the issues are mental mistakes (missing stunts, not picking up overloads or delays), the next question becomes WHY. Either the linemen are stupid, line communication is broken or the scheme is faulty. In our case 4 of the 5 starters are actually noteworthy for being football SMART not stupid. So that leaves line communications or scheme.

Both communication and scheme are partly players and partly coaches. The coaches are responsible for being sure the line all understand the signals and that the scheme matches the strong suits of the players. The players are responsible for executing the scheme correctly and for giving, receiving and acting on the signals correctly. In my opinion both are issues right now.

The line is not communicating correctly - if they were the constant missing of stunts would not be happening. This hopefully improves with time and snaps (and yes not plying them together in preseason is hurting here).

The line also does not look comfortable executing the wide zone. And for 4 of them they have never done it before. If they are uncomfortable and ineffective in the wide zone ditch it and go to something they DO know and ARE effective in. By the way, this is something else that playing them as a unit in preseason would have uncovered - you shouldn't be doing this in games that count.

I agree with almost every bit, but one thing.....there have been several plays when the linemen did get straight up beat. Jonah got pancaked yesterday at least once, and Collins got ate alive a few plays. One in particular, he had TE help and a chip from the RB on his way into the flat. We got the pass off, but Parsons hit Burrow as he threw it. That's getting your ass beat. No two ways about it. To me, it's been an "all of the above" shit show up front thus far.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: I think it's time to officially call Pollack to task. - Wyche'sWarrior - 09-19-2022, 03:49 PM