Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gun Death Comparisons by Country
(12-08-2015, 09:47 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Civil wars are not criminal acts (most times it's not the military either)? Or are we just going to gloss over that?

I'm very well aware that the numbers in the America's would change. And yes, we are different compared to most of those other countries. We don't have the same ethnic make up, nor do we have the same laws in regard to guns. If you want to compare us to someone, compare us to countries that have similar gun laws.

Not only that, but it fails to make sure they are comparable in population as well. It's much easier to control a smaller group than it is a larger one like ours. So my suggestion there is to use our states to compare. Once you take out Maryland, Tennessee and a 2-3 other states, you will find that our ratios are better than most of those European countries.

Civil wars are more military than criminal, as often times the side that is not the official state military is headed by, and the ranks are partially filled by, former members of the state military. Civil wars are more akin to military conflicts than criminal violence.

If you want to compare to countries with similar gun laws, then pull up that data. This is a high level comparison. They separated the world by regions and compared our gun deaths with the countries in that region. It wasn't a pick and choose, and I even provided the ranking based on all the countries used of 147. There were some left out, they likely had no data on them and so they could not be included, and that may have changed the situation of the standings for the U.S. in some regions. However, the data is present and sufficient for the most similar countries to ours. When compared to our typical comrades of western, developed nations we do not fair so well. All of the countries ranking higher are those countries where the social, political, and economic situations are much more tumultuous.

As for the population, that is why it is based on per 100k people, IIRC. Of course, there are smaller countries that rank higher than us, so what is the excuse there? DC has the highest gun deaths 100k in the country yet is the smallest (I think it's still smaller than RI technically). There are small and large states at both the top and the bottom of the list in both geography and population, so it doesn't seem like being smaller makes it easier to control. Of course, if you would like to provide some numbers to back up your claim, feel free.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Gun Death Comparisons by Country - Belsnickel - 12-08-2015, 10:35 PM