Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Running game/Joe Mixon, what's up?
(10-03-2022, 05:07 PM)Joelist Wrote: Basically two things need to happen:

1) Ditch the wide zone run scheme. Our OL (especially the new right side) are optimal at power running so do what you're good at.

2) Whoever is back there need to not dance and just hit the hole fast and hard - no nonsense. Allow one cut at maximum. Actually that is similar to coaching given another back who came into the league and danced too much until Mike Shanahan laid down the law of "one cut max then take off north and south" rule. That RB was Terrell Davis and that coaching caused his career to flourish.

(10-03-2022, 05:12 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I'm thinking you may well be onto something here. Not sure the wide zone is working good for us? As well as the quit dancing and hit the hole.

I also think handing him the ball from the shotgun is also preventing Mixon from hitting the hole faster and makes him indecisive. 

Years past, I was shocked that he ran better from the gun, but I think he needs to take the handoff from the backfield now. I also think it forces the defense to commit to the run sooner to stop him, which would also help in protecting Joe since our pass blocking has been so bad (improved the past 2 games but it's still bad).
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Running game/Joe Mixon, what's up? - BFritz21 - 10-03-2022, 07:57 PM