Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Higher Education Act Renewal
(06-06-2015, 10:54 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: This is one of those arguments I tend to have with my wife on a regular basis. She has her undergrad and grad degrees in English and so is more humanities focused. Me with my accounting degree and currently working on courses in public administration, I am more focused on the practical. Because of my degree being from a business school I lack all of the gen eds for the school I work at. So I have to take them all and I complain every chance I get. My wife talks about the "well rounded citizen" and all of that, but I think it's just ridiculous.

But I could just be a little bitter due to the snobbery of higher education seeing my degree as meaningless if I want to do graduate work, but I can work for them as an accountant and be a licensed CPA just fine. :snark:

Just think of it as job security for people with degrees in English, like your wife Rolleyes

It's sort of like a private sector professional teaching high school or college courses, perhaps even younger.  It seems like some education courses would be beneficial and common sense...yet we turn out tons of crappy teachers and plenty of professionals have all the necessary skills to command a classroom.

Look at job postings and you'll see the same sort of thing.  A laundry list of requirements even few experienced professionals in that function have but are more than capable of doing, or learning, any of the boxes they don't check.  People give that laundry list to clueless HR departments and then wonder why HR gives them such a mediocre list of candidates.

I'm drifting off-topic, but the business undergrad is kind of a funny thing.  It seems like a very safe and practical choice, but now that you often need an MBA to get ahead and improve your marketability you have to ask what the value in a business undergrad really is.  I think I could consolidate the entirety of the useful undergrad courses I had into maybe 8-10 classes.  And if you really scraped away all the fat, I bet you could get it down to one intense semester.  Maybe combine with 3-4 full-time internships and make it full 1-yr program.  Would be a monster success if you could attract even your average state school student.

Messages In This Thread
Higher Education Act Renewal - Belsnickel - 06-05-2015, 09:53 AM
RE: Higher Education Act Renewal - JustWinBaby - 06-06-2015, 11:19 PM