Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Diabetes- The Money's In The Treatment, Not The Cure
(10-18-2022, 04:07 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: So, I've been on Ozempic for a few months now and have been doing well with it, though I can definitely see why some people would have problems. I definitely find my appetite decreased on it but haven't had the other side effects people talk about, fortunately. The hope is, though, that the only meds I will still be taking after my surgery will be the mental health ones because the sleeve gastrectomy should resolve hyperlipidemia and diabetes, my two biggest issues. Well, and my obesity. I've been obese since I was like 5 years old, so I am looking forward to that, as well.

Good, I'm glad you don't have any of the nasty side-effects; I mean, my dad's aren't as bad as, "this drug may cause such and such, which can be fatal!" (seriously, these commercials you Americans have are just hilarious and freaky at the same time), but I could never live my life being vomity for half of my waking hours.

As also mentioned in all those drug commercials, the side effects vary from person to person, so I guess that's why it doesn't work for him.

I hope the surgery helps; I'm not huge, but I've been overweight from about age 7 myself (when I had cancer at 21, I got down to 192, which was the lightest I had been since I was 12) and as an adult living on my own, I finally found the formula diet-wise, to stave off weight gain... but my job is an absolute killer and is the reason why I can't LOSE any weight either, so I've been in the same 15 pound range for the past 5 years.

So yeah, I know the struggles with weight and have learned to live with it, but I'm bummed I can't fit into some of the clothes I used to be able to fit into and that I can no longer eat some of the unhealthy stuff I used to...

But, since my diet is excellent and I do walk to work for 9 months of the year (December, January, February are non-negotiable, as my walk is not always on paved ground), my BS is always excellent, my BP is typically around 110/71, I have the cholesterol levels of a healthy 15 year old male (exact words of my doctor) and most-importantly, I FEEL good, despite the weight.

It's a struggle, that's for sure, but I sincerely hope that the surgery will pay massive dividends :)

(10-18-2022, 04:55 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I started taking Jardiance (stuff is expensive). I believe the drug is for diabetes but my Dr. prescribed them to prevent heart attack and stroke (even though my glucose levels are above range). One thing he mentioned is that it makes people lose weight. That must be common among medicines for diabetes. 

The less you eat (of good food, of course: if you eat a small quantity of shit, you're still eating shit lol) = the less glucose your body has to break down, thus many diabetes meds work in trying to have you avoid eating/eating less: this was what Ozempic does (it constricts your stomach sphincter and the connection to your esophagus, apparently, thus forcing you to eat less), but my dad had the nasty side-effect of nausea and vomiting, which Matt seems to not have.

Drugs can be awesome things or awful things, depending on the person.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Diabetes- The Money's In The Treatment, Not The Cure - Truck_1_0_1_ - 10-19-2022, 10:17 AM