Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
New study on NFL Pass Protection Rankings Shocker
(10-22-2022, 12:01 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I first thought this was a thread by impactplaya, but then realized that it's formatted stupidly by the Athletic...
NFL pass protection rankings: Why the Bucs and Patriots have league's best O-Lines:
Larry Holder - The Athletic

Who's got your quarterback's back? And who's getting your quarterback pummeled?

Even through a six-week NFL sample size, it's mostly apparent that the team that protects the quarterback the best wins the most games. I emphasize mostly.

I took a dive, with the massive assistance of TruMedia, into how every NFL team's offensive line has performed in terms of quarterback pressures and sacks allowed. I focused mainly on pressure percentage for teams and individuals as a determining factor in who's protecting or not protecting their respective quarterback well.

Bengals one of 3 best:
     The Bengals seem like a total contradiction. They lead the league in sacks allowed. And yet they're the third best in terms of pressure percent allowed? And Joe Burrow unloads the football at the fourth-fastest rate in the league at 2.43 seconds? The sack-per-pressure rate probably tells
more of the story. If Burrow receives pressure, he's more likely than just about any other quarterback to absorb a sack. Left tackle Jonah Williams, the only starter remaining from last season, still seems like the sore spot along the front five with a below-average pressure rate allowed. He's also tied for second in terms of most sacks allowed.

On the plus side, guard Alex Cappa and tackle Lael Collins hold above-average pressure rates and guard Cordell Volson holds a nearly average rate. Those results are far better than what Burrow and the Bengals had to put up with last season.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: New study on NFL Pass Protection Rankings Shocker - bfine32 - 10-22-2022, 12:30 PM